Turkey with feather loss from large wound - will she stay warm this winter?

crcgirl93

Chirping
Mar 11, 2014
Hello all,

My neighbor has a Turkey Hen that was injured from a dog attack. The Hen healed nicely but the is left with a large (several inches in diameter) area where there are no feathers. This is a first for both of us. Does anyone know if the feathers will ever grow back? Even if they do, I'm thinking it would be several months? Will she be ok when the freezing temps come?

Thanks!

I don't know if the feathers will grow back. That may depend on the type of wound. But it is the time of year they are molting & growing new feathers. Where are you? How cold does it get there? Where on the turkey is the wound?

Poor girl!

She is only about 6 months old so not molting this year. The wound was large (about but not extremely deep. The feathers and a lot of skin were torn off. The wound has healed over and the scabs are going away but there is no sign of feathers yet. We are in Indiana. It can get as low as -5 here in the winter. We're just wondering if she'll stay warm enough and if not what should be done? There is no supplemental heat in the coop and usually the Turkeys roost outside in the trees.

She is only about 6 months old so not molting this year. The wound was large (about but not extremely deep. The feathers and a lot of skin were torn off. The wound has healed over and the scabs are going away but there is no sign of feathers yet. We are in Indiana. It can get as low as -5 here in the winter. We're just wondering if she'll stay warm enough and if not what should be done? There is no supplemental heat in the coop and usually the Turkeys roost outside in the trees.

If you want to give her additional protection, put a turkey saddle on her. It will protect the damaged area and provide her with extra warmth. I gave one older hen that acts like she prefers to wear the turkey saddle. You can find turkey saddles at any reputable poultry supply site. I got mine from Stromberg's.

http://www.strombergschickens.com/p...s-for-All-Poultry/Poultry-Medicine-Accesories

My turkey was attacked by our shorthair this morning. Her chest is wide open. I put vetermycin spray on what is the best to use to help it heal and what else can I do.

Back
Top Bottom