Turkey with hurt foot

MHarty

Hatching
Feb 20, 2019
Hi, looking for advice. I have a 2 year old red bronze hen I’m very fond of. I found her hiding in a box stall this afternoon, trying to hop on one foot.

I examined her, and one foot is completely limp. She doesn’t appear to have an injury, nothing is swollen, no marks, her foot just seems unusable. There is a spot under her wing at her hip where she’s lost feathers but no scratches or signs of trauma.

She doesn’t seem to be in any pain. She’s not doing a great at hopping on one foot but she seems like her normal self. I let her sleep where she was tonight, gave her food and water, she’s eating and drinking well.

The original owners clipped one wing, she has recently been having a hard time jumping off her roost in the morning. I’m thinking that maybe she jumped and hurt herself.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any advice on what to do for her? I left her in the barn so she could stay with her children.

Can you confine her in an area without a roost so that she is not flying up and then jumping down ? I would also keep her separate from any toms or birds that might pick at/fight her. Hopefully it is not broken and will heal on its own.

@R2elk - any ideas ?

Can you confine her in an area without a roost so that she is not flying up and then jumping down ? I would also keep her separate from any toms or birds that might pick at/fight her. Hopefully it is not broken and will heal on its own.

@R2elk - any ideas ?

The box stall she’s in doesn’t have anything to roost in and I think she feels safest in there, she’s sort of hiding for the night. She was moving around in there earlier. She’s with the other birds but they’re young enough they haven’t tried to mate with her and they want to all be near each other. I hope it’s not broken. There’s no swelling, but it makes me nervous that it’s limp.

Back
Top Bottom