Turkey with odd eyes

angelsandanxiety

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2020
Not an emergency, just something odd that I’ve noticed about one of my toms. He’s a blue slate that I got back in late March. He’s my second blue slate, and my ninth turkey in total, and his vision is wonky.

His eyes are small compared to everyone else, and his depth perception seems to be quite a bit off. He also seems to have issues with just seeing in general because he mistook a duck for a goose the other day. (The goose is a bully, but he’s never been bothered by the ducks before). It seems like a birth defect, and he’s otherwise a perfectly normal and happy bird (and a goofy one at that).

I’m just curious if anyone else has seen something like this.

Attachments

• D7FB742A-88C3-4EF6-8049-8DA5B48F21B6.jpeg
    D7FB742A-88C3-4EF6-8049-8DA5B48F21B6.jpeg
    421.8 KB · Views: 92
  • CEA2C3E0-E249-4034-A5F9-F56233A7CDB2.jpeg
    CEA2C3E0-E249-4034-A5F9-F56233A7CDB2.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 16
Not an emergency, just something odd that I’ve noticed about one of my toms. He’s a blue slate that I got back in late March. He’s my second blue slate, and my ninth turkey in total, and his vision is wonky.

His eyes are small compared to everyone else, and his depth perception seems to be quite a bit off. He also seems to have issues with just seeing in general because he mistook a duck for a goose the other day. (The goose is a bully, but he’s never been bothered by the ducks before). It seems like a birth defect, and he’s otherwise a perfectly normal and happy bird (and a goofy one at that).

I’m just curious if anyone else has seen something like this.
I can't tell anything from your pictures.

Small eye syndrome is a condition associated with the dominant (D) Slate gene. It is more likely to occur in Self Blue aka Lavender because they are homozygous for the slate gene (DD). It can lead to blindness.

Thank you for the reply.

I’m not sure about his genetics because he came from a hatchery. He is quite a bit paler than my other blue slate, but that’s all I really know. His vision doesn’t seem to be getting worse, and other than his smaller eyes and his vision issues, he’s a perfectly nice and normal (and curious) little guy.

He’s a pet, and I’m not planning on breeding him so he won’t be passing on any bad genetics he may have so this is just something I was curious about.

Attachments

• 19F6A431-2B9A-456C-B90D-851004D3D20C.jpeg
    19F6A431-2B9A-456C-B90D-851004D3D20C.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 160C5C3F-0984-441F-B09A-0F94160EC1D3.jpeg
    160C5C3F-0984-441F-B09A-0F94160EC1D3.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 0DEBA8B4-D5D8-4925-8A00-A94DA4246FED.jpeg
    0DEBA8B4-D5D8-4925-8A00-A94DA4246FED.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 8D13929C-0EC8-4370-B2D0-505DF81EDD50.jpeg
    8D13929C-0EC8-4370-B2D0-505DF81EDD50.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 14
Thank you for the reply.

I’m not sure about his genetics because he came from a hatchery. He is quite a bit paler than my other blue slate, but that’s all I really know. His vision doesn’t seem to be getting worse, and other than his smaller eyes and his vision issues, he’s a perfectly nice and normal (and curious) little guy.

He’s a pet, and I’m not planning on breeding him so he won’t be passing on any bad genetics he may have so this is just something I was curious about.
I don't see any black splotches on him indicating that he is a Lavender rather than a Blue Slate. Lavenders are (DD) and can be subject to small eye syndrome.

No, the blue slate with the small eyes is solid in coloring. My elder blue slate has black splotches, but his eyes are completely normal. I’m sure it’s likely just a birth defect. He’s wouldn’t be my only bird with one. I also have a young hen who was born with crooked hipbones that causes her tail to be crooked as well. She may have even came from the same hatchery as him, I’m not sure. Thank you for the help anyways! I do appreciate it

No, the blue slate with the small eyes is solid in coloring. My elder blue slate has black splotches, but his eyes are completely normal. I’m sure it’s likely just a birth defect. He’s wouldn’t be my only bird with one. I also have a young hen who was born with crooked hipbones that causes her tail to be crooked as well. She may have even came from the same hatchery as him, I’m not sure. Thank you for the help anyways! I do appreciate it
Without the black splotches, it is not a Blue Slate. That would make it a Self Blue aka Lavender. Lavenders are (DD), Slates are (Dd). Lavenders can be subject to small eye syndrome.

Blue Slates do not breed true. Some hatcheries unethically sell Lavenders as Blue Slates. Mating two Blue Slates together can produce 50% Blue Slates, 25% Lavenders and 25% Blacks.

I will avoid that hatchery in the future then.

If he does have small eye syndrome, do you know if it will get worse over time? He can get around just fine now on his own and with his flock for now, but if it gets worse, I may want to plan for a future area that’s smaller and easier to navigate for him. Thank you!

Both of my lavender hens, and the self blues I had before had small eye syndrome. They started out with good vision younger, but now at a year old, both of my lavenders suffer from bad vision. One of them can't see out of one eye completely, and the other one seems to have reduced vision in both eyes. They can get around pretty easily still, they just need to adjust. I help them with eating and drinking by keeping everything in bowls or hanging trough feeders so it's easier for them to strike their food!

Thank you for the help! I’ll keep that in mind for the future. He’s such a sweet boy, despite his bad vision. His other flock mates seem to know his bad vision and they always make sure to know where he is. I can always here them chirping back and forth. He has a habit of coming up to me and nudging my stomach with his beak to see how far away I am. I always make sure he gets his fill of food and treats despite his disadvantage.

I have a few other birds that have special needs (Chickens with missing foot parts from frostbite, a duck with short legs, a hen with a crooked tail, etc.) so I’m used to having to make coop adjustments to suit their needs (less steep ramps, wider perches, lower waterers and feeders, etc.).

This is an old thread, but I've been looking for this for 4 years. I had a ton with vision problem but eyes were not small. He produced a tom with even worse sight. He doesn't breed which is good. I haven't noticed that his site has gotten worse over the years but he definitely is worse then his dad ever was. I can't handle a treat for him he will miss four out of five times and get my hand instead. If I put it on the ground he misses just about as much too. It could be hilarious to watch him but it's not. He is just my pet and we just tolerate his little quirk

Back
Top Bottom