Turkey with wattle and chest filled with air

fordranger00

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2018
I have a turkey who is almost 2 years old. It's a brown bourbon, and his wattle and chest are full of air. I believe she has an impacted crop but she passed manure today when we were trying to clear its crop. She has no other symptoms other than she's blowing up like a balloon. Is there something else that could be causing this that I'm missing? She threw up nothing but a little green liquid and she pooped afterward.

Thanks. I'm going to try and get her to regurgitate again tonight. I put some raw yogurt in her feed, and vinegar in the water just in case. I also fed her some of the yogurt before I went to work just to make sure she ate some. I tried to find more ideas last night, however, the only thing I found that I didn't do is sticking her with a pin. Someone said they did that with a meat chicken, but I don't know about all that....

Thanks. I'm going to try and get her to regurgitate again tonight. I put some raw yogurt in her feed, and vinegar in the water just in case. I also fed her some of the yogurt before I went to work just to make sure she ate some. I tried to find more ideas last night, however, the only thing I found that I didn't do is sticking her with a pin. Someone said they did that with a meat chicken, but I don't know about all that....
If the turkey is filled with air near the crop area (toms do this regularly as part of their strutting, drumming ritual), lancing is the accepted method of treatment. Lancing with a pin may not be effective enough because the hole has a tendency to heal over too quickly. Often a small slit (no more than 1/8") is more effective.

Of course one must make sure that the air filling is a problem and not part of a normal function before doing any lancing or other treatment. One way to check is to straddle the turkey with your legs and pat on the area as if you were gently beating a drum. You should get a drumming sound and in the case of an aroused tom, the treatment should hurt his pride enough that he will deflate on his own.

I find it hard to understand which sex your turkey is since you refer to it in both the masculine and the feminine genders.

If the turkey is filled with air near the crop area (toms do this regularly as part of their strutting, drumming ritual), lancing is the accepted method of treatment. Lancing with a pin may not be effective enough because the hole has a tendency to heal over too quickly. Often a small slit (no more than 1/8") is more effective.

Of course one must make sure that the air filling is a problem and not part of a normal function before doing any lancing or other treatment. One way to check is to straddle the turkey with your legs and pat on the area as if you were gently beating a drum. You should get a drumming sound and in the case of an aroused tom, the treatment should hurt his pride enough that he will deflate on his own.

I find it hard to understand which sex your turkey is since you refer to it in both the masculine and the feminine genders.
Sorry! She's a hen.

Do you know what's causing this or have an article of reference?
I do not know the cause but do know that lancing does work. A neighbor had that issue last year with his tom. He lanced it with a pin getting it deflated but it inflated again the next day. The next time he lanced it with a scalpel and the extended period required for it to seal back up allowed it to heal properly.

Ruptured air sac. Does it look like this? Where there is air along the body and under the skin? And bloating them literally like a balloon? Its comparable to a humans collapsed lung. Lancing is the fix, pop them like a balloon, may need to repeat.
Blimpy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom