Turkey with Wry neck and respiratory

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
I have a 3.5 month old bourbon red turkey with (mild) wry neck (he bends his neck all the way to his back, but rights it again pretty quick…happens a few times a day, mostly at night that I have noticed it is worse when he gets excited I think) that I have been treating for the past several weeks with selenium (sunflower seeds), vitamin e, and poultry cell. Just noticed this morning that he is really congested sounding. I was doing some reading about the relationship between respiratory issues and how they can cause wry neck. I gave him some vet Rx this morning, but is there anything else I can do? And how often (and how much) do I give him of the vet Rx? This poor little guy has had it tough from the start beginning with curled toes right from the hatch. (I hatched him). He is very sweet and I want to get rid of this fast to be sure nothing happens to him. I would appreciate any other suggestions to get him well. I just can’t have anything bad happen to him 😢

Last edited:
Yopu may want to try vitamin B complex. Mix it up at the rate of 1/2 tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. It should be the only source of water. No other additives should be in it. It should be made fresh daily.
Ok…I will do that. I have them…bought just recently. Thank you.

Oh…I see. I am sorry. I meant I would put it on food and feed him that food first…then put his other food down. But I get it. Thanks.
Half a tablet poured on his food is a much higher concentration than half a tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. He isn't going to drink a gallon of water a day.

I c. Thank you. I hope it will help. I honestly thought (and read a lot) that with wry neck…the neck ‘stays’ in the bent position unless you can get it to ‘go away’. But…his doesn’t do that…he just bends it all the way back (which is just so scary to see) and back again. Mostly at night…and when he stretches his neck upwards.
Sounds more like stargazing than wry neck.

@Bantambird

Sounds more like stargazing than wry neck.

@Bantambird
Stargazing is usually a thiamin deficiency. I see it in poults and chick occasionally. Poultry cell by rooster booster has thiamin in it, check any supplement labels. Some supplements don't have thiamin. Sometimes it takes a few doses. When I see it, it is usually between a newly hatched and 2 weeks, but a weak bird might have a lot going on. Curled toes can indicate inbreeding problems.

Stargazing is usually a thiamin deficiency. I see it in poults and chick occasionally. Poultry cell by rooster booster has thiamin in it, check any supplement labels. Some supplements don't have thiamin. Sometimes it takes a few doses. When I see it, it is usually between a newly hatched and 2 weeks, but a weak bird might have a lot going on. Curled toes can indicate inbreeding problems.
Vitamin B complex has all the B vitamins including Thiamine.

Back
Top Bottom