Turkeys fight over egg

KarateHorse

Chirping
Oct 13, 2016
NC
We have three broad breasted bronze turkey hens. There is no tom yet. Today I went out to find two bloody turkeys. The gate to the duck pen came open and one turkey (her name is ms. Snoody pants)was in there and the other two (turkey Lurkey and Rambo) were in the chicken pen. Turkey Lurkey in the chicken pen and Snoody Pants in the duck pen were both bloody all over their face. Rambo was standing there puffed up and pecking both of them. Rambo has been laying eggs for a while now. Snoody Pants in the duck pen layed her first egg today in the duck pen just a couple inches from where she was being beat up. Was Rambo trying to get Snoody Pants's egg? I know that poultry will peck blood like crazy. There wasn't any predators around and all the other birds are fine. Anyone know what happened? Thanks

The increase in daylight length is fueling poultry hormones. They get a bit frisky and are prone to fighting for dominance in preparation for the spring mating season, so expect such behaviors to continue for a few months. Dominance means you get the best resources such as food and thus will have a better chance of your offspring surviving, so everyone wants to be dominant, even fat broad breasted turkey hens.

The increase in daylight length is fueling poultry hormones. They get a bit frisky and are prone to fighting for dominance in preparation for the spring mating season, so expect such behaviors to continue for a few months. Dominance means you get the best resources such as food and thus will have a better chance of your offspring surviving, so everyone wants to be dominant, even fat broad breasted turkey hens.

Thanks we tried to put them back together this morning and they started fighting again. So we seperated all three of them again

Fights can go on for days and they don't often stop until there's a loser, even than the loser will get harassed and chased for a few weeks. I personally let everyone fight it out as I can't separate anyone out unless it's to eat them. Turkeys are quite determined birds.

Fights can go on for days and they don't often stop until there's a loser, even than the loser will get harassed and chased for a few weeks. I personally let everyone fight it out as I can't separate anyone out unless it's to eat them. Turkeys are quite determined birds.

The two turkeys still have dried blood on them should we wait until the blood is all healed up or let them figure it out? Those turkeys are dinosaurs once they get the taste of blood.

I can't tell you how to manage your birds. I just personally always let all my poultry fight it out. I haven't had anyone die from fighting, but it's a personal decision with risks.

They can get pretty nasty looking and exhausted when fighting, and it can take weeks for all wounds to heal up. You are now in a position of letting them work it out or keeping them permanently separated.

They might calm down towards the middle or end of summer. It also can help to have toms about who will try to break up a hen fight as well as mating them so they aren't as frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom