Turkey's In General?

that_crazy_lady

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Salina, OK
I'm really thinking about getting Turkey's next year. But I really don't know much about them.
My reasons for wanting them are pretty basic I guess. I'd like to have some for meat, and I'd like to raise and sell them, from hatching eggs to grown birds.
I'd love to be about to house them with my other birds, and let them free range during the day. Right now I just have a few guineas. But we are going to build a large coop along side our goat barn, and get chickens. I'll have geese, and who know what else in the next few years. I'd like to house all the birds in the coop at night, and let them all out with the goats durring the day.

So I guess my questions at this point would be do any of you free range, or keep your turkeys with other birds?

I plan to order an assortment from Heritage Turkey Hatchery. If anyone has birds from them I'd like your input as well.

Thanks,
I'm off to stalk the 2014 thread and see what I learn.

My turkeys live with guineas and chickens in the same henhouse. I suppose there is a danger of disease by doing this but so far no problems. As big as the turkeys are, the guineas still rule the roost!
hide.gif

Thanks.
I'm kind of concerned that the turkey's mite decided to roots on the timber covered hill side rather then go back to the coop. I only have 4' fence. The area they would share with the goats is about an acer, probably a little more. It's mostly open but edged with trees. The coop will be tall to entice my guineas to roost in it, so maybe the turkeys will like that.
I plan to grow out a whole order, and keep one or two trios as breeders. After I decided which breed(s) I want to raise I'll keep my breeding stock up. But I figure free ranging the birds I'm growing out will cut back on feed cost.

I'm learning a lot on the 2014 thread, and really enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom