Turkeys V Chickens

Crippledturkey

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Poplar Bluff, Mo
I have added broilers to the freezer before, however have not added any turkeys in their either and am about to so tomorrow. My concern is that I know how powerful the reflexes of a chicken is after they are dispatched, and one of the toms is over 30 pounds and being dispatched because I have personal information on how strong they can be alive with thier kicking, thus him being added to the freezer. How much harder are they to add to a freezer than a chicken? I do not have any cones my opperation is old school, tripods with a canner over an open fire for scalding. Thank you.

I am going through the same fears...my turkeys are due to be processed soon and I have been told aswell how strong they are...my method also old school. Neighbour told me to keep a few feed sacks, put a hole for the turkeys neck on the closed end and then stick him or her through there . the sack, he said will keep him from being able to move too much, and kicking me. I have no clue about this, but I can see it working specially if someone is holding the end closed or if the end is tied. Dunno...

come back tomorrow and let us know how processing went.

Ema

We did zip tie his feet together, and hung him on a game scale in the trees to ansaguinate. The feed bag idea would have been so helpful yesterday if I had gotten it in time, and will surely do that the next time. It was surprisingly not as difficult as I thought it would be. The bird weighed 45 pounds on the game scale and dressed a little over 35 pounds. It was a breeze to pluck compared to a chicken. When we go to the other tom and the hens I will definately use the feedbag idea, thanks again for tha hints Ema and Two Creeks. PS Need a larger canner for the scalding lol.

Back
Top Bottom