Turkeys w/respiratory infection not responding to antibiotics. Help!

Turkeys might need Tylan 200, which is 200 mg per ml versus Tylan 50 which is 50 mg per ml. It makes less volume. You can give it orally to birds, which can prevent the muscle damage sometimes seen with injections. 10 mg per pound about 3 times a day for 5 days is about right.

Mycoplasma (MG, CRD) in turkeys can turn sinus infections, or into air saculitis from E.coli. E.coli usually requires sulfa antibiotics or other ones. Once air sacculitis occurs, it might be hard to get them to recover. If the Tylan does not help, I would ask a vet about sulfadimethoxine. Here is some reading about MG (scroll down for MG in turkeys:)
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry

Turkeys might need Tylan 200, which is 200 mg per ml versus Tylan 50 which is 50 mg per ml. It makes less volume. You can give it orally to birds, which can prevent the muscle damage sometimes seen with injections. 10 mg per pound about 3 times a day for 5 days is about right.

Mycoplasma (MG, CRD) in turkeys can turn sinus infections, or into air saculitis from E.coli. E.coli usually requires sulfa antibiotics or other ones. Once air sacculitis occurs, it might be hard to get them to recover. If the Tylan does not help, I would ask a vet about sulfadimethoxine. Here is some reading about MG (scroll down for MG in turkeys:)
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry
Thanks for your reply. They are all better now.

If you can get a vet to prescribe Chlorotetracycline in 250mg capsules, you typically administer it orally, once a day, fo 2 days. This stuff is a miracle drug for infections, but does nothing for viruses.

Following the vets example, I used a plastic soda straw, cut to 3 inches long, and inserted the capsule 1/2 way into the end of the straw. My wife held the bird wrapped in a towel and opened her beak. I insterted the straw in the throat, avoiding her trachea, and pushed the pill out of the straw deep into her throat with the blunted end of a cut off chop stick then massaged her throat and let her drink. She was up and running around in under an hour, which was absolutely amazing.
My vet advised me that if this antibiotic did not work, nothing would, and to be prepared for that outcome.

Back
Top Bottom