Turmeric growers?

Wolfie2

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
South of Houston
Wife takes a turmeric pill every day cause she says it helps with muscle cramps in her legs. Since I like to grow stuff and I grow ginger, all the ginger we use, thought I would try turmeric. Both grow from Rhizomes right?

Got rhizomes off Amazon last year. Grew all summer in a pot (like I do the ginger)& looked pretty puny so I left them to overwinter.There were 10 of 'em in a molasses tub. They looked better this year.
Took 'em outta the pot yesterday and had maybe a pound of fresh rhizome, mostly small fingers, off the originals. Nothing like the rhizomes I originally got from Amazon which were about 3-4 inches long.
All of the original rhizomes still looked good,firm and had lots of roots, even after I harvested the fingers. I have put them back in the pot hoping they will continue to produce offspring. Never tried this with ginger, always bought new rhizomes @ the grocery store. This past summer there were other things planted in the pot by my lovely, helpful wife and maybe too crowded. Will be by themselves next year.

Questions are: does anyone out there grow this and could give advice? What would the chances be for the re-planted rhizomes to produce again?

Anyone?

I'm up in Michigan (zone 5), so I don't have a way to grow either, but oh, I wish I could.

Yes, both grow from rhizomes.

I have never heard of turmeric as being helpful for muscle cramps. I might add some powered stuff to my next smoothie to try it.

I hope this bumps the thread up. I'm interested in what you find out. Good luck!

Wife takes a turmeric pill every day cause she says it helps with muscle cramps in her legs. Since I like to grow stuff and I grow ginger, all the ginger we use, thought I would try turmeric. Both grow from Rhizomes right?

Got rhizomes off Amazon last year. Grew all summer in a pot (like I do the ginger)& looked pretty puny so I left them to overwinter.There were 10 of 'em in a molasses tub. They looked better this year.
Took 'em outta the pot yesterday and had maybe a pound of fresh rhizome, mostly small fingers, off the originals. Nothing like the rhizomes I originally got from Amazon which were about 3-4 inches long.
All of the original rhizomes still looked good,firm and had lots of roots, even after I harvested the fingers. I have put them back in the pot hoping they will continue to produce offspring. Never tried this with ginger, always bought new rhizomes @ the grocery store. This past summer there were other things planted in the pot by my lovely, helpful wife and maybe too crowded. Will be by themselves next year.

Questions are: does anyone out there grow this and could give advice? What would the chances be for the re-planted rhizomes to produce again?

Anyone?
YouTube has videos on growing it. I just started like you this year, overwintering in the house now.

Back
Top Bottom