Turned my chickens to meat today :(

Starscream

Hatching
Jun 27, 2018
Today I turned my 6 months chickens into meat today. It has been a long time sense I culled my own chicken. But this time it was harder for me to cull it. I had my mom do it this time. I dont know if I could raise chickens again much to cull it myself. Its like you get too attach to them and they always walk up to you when you have food to feed them.

Today I turned my 6 months chickens into meat today. It has been a long time sense I culled my own chicken. But this time it was harder for me to cull it. I had my mom do it this time. I dont know if I could raise chickens again much to cull it myself. Its like you get too attach to them and they always walk up to you when you have food to feed them.

Why u cull are they sick ?

We've been processing our own chickens for years. It's not my favorite day, but I have learned to cope. Part of that coping begins with knowing from the beginning that they will be filling the freezer and not allowing myself to get attached. I remind myself all the time that they are going to be food. I don't make pets of any of them. It doesn't make it "easy", but it does get easier. One just has to set their mind to it.

I hate culling but when I do I have to put myself in a mood. Determined I guess. Its good to know where your food is coming from , it wasnt sick or fed anything you dont want in your body. Someone gave me some chicks once , didnt know they were meat birds. They were the friendliest chickens I ever had . I waited too long and the meat was bad. I wont buy cornish X because of that but kudos to those that can.

We've been processing our own chickens for years. It's not my favorite day, but I have learned to cope. Part of that coping begins with knowing from the beginning that they will be filling the freezer and not allowing myself to get attached. I remind myself all the time that they are going to be food. I don't make pets of any of them. It doesn't make it "easy", but it does get easier. One just has to set their mind to it.
Ditto Dat^^^
Just slaughtered and butchered the older hens this last week,
sure was glad to get that done.....
....and had a delicious chicken and broccoli sammich today.

I’m sorry. I’ve never culled my own chickens before but I would never imagine doing it unless they were fatally wounded. :hugs
:hugs it hard to cull birds.
Seriously y'all?!?!? This is the meat bird forum.

Back
Top Bottom