Turned toes

christinafaught

Songster
6 Years
Aug 18, 2016
I have several favorelle hen's that are about 2 yrs old their toes started turning and pointing backwards also some brahma hen's I hatched less than 1 yr ago have same issue but not as babies seems to be the only 2 breeds out of the many I have what could cause this to be happening

Mostly crooked toed poultry is the result of improper incubation temperatures or of defective parents. I am also sure that this can be the result of the floor of the coop or perhaps your roost poles aggravating the feet or toes of your chickens.

I would advise you to look into the floor or the litter in your coop, and also not to breed any hens or roosters that show this deformity. This last part is important if you will stop and consider how much selective breeding has changed the body and the egg laying ability of the chicken in only a short period of time.

Mostly crooked toed poultry is the result of improper incubation temperatures or of defective parents. I am also sure that this can be the result of the floor of the coop or perhaps your roost poles aggravating the feet or toes of your chickens.

I would advise you to look into the floor or the litter in your coop, and also not to breed any hens or roosters that show this deformity. This last part is important if you will stop and consider how much selective breeding has changed the body and the egg laying ability of the chicken in only a short period of time.
It may also be the toenails if you haven't trimmed them in a while.

It may also be the toenails if you haven't trimmed them in a while.
I never trim my birds’ toenails and I have never seen this problem.
I agree with @chickengeorgeto that if your roosts are too narrow your birds could be curling their toes.
Do the toes look like the curled toes in this photo? I believe this pullet of mine had been stepped on before I bought her and that’s why her toes are crooked.
A9845E54-DC8E-458E-BDED-B7830797A4B3.jpeg

I have several favorelle hen's that are about 2 yrs old their toes started turning and pointing backwards also some brahma hen's I hatched less than 1 yr ago have same issue but not as babies seems to be the only 2 breeds out of the many I have what could cause this to be happening
@christinafaught can you post some photos of your chickens toes?

I never trim my birds’ toenails and I have never seen this problem.
I agree with @chickengeorgeto that if your roosts are too narrow your birds could be curling their toes.
Do the toes look like the curled toes in this photo? I believe this pullet of mine had been stepped on before I bought her and that’s why her toes are crooked. View attachment 1593971
@Brahma Chicken5000 is this a current photo of a pullet you have now? It's possible that toe may have been broken at some point, the middle toenail will need to be watched and likely trimmed at in the future.
Your pullet also looks like she has Scaly Leg Mites, have you treated her for those yet? I would put some vaseline, A+D ointment or similar on her legs.

@Brahma Chicken5000 is this a current photo of a pullet you have now? It's possible that toe may have been broken at some point, the middle toenail will need to be watched and likely trimmed at in the future.
Your pullet also looks like she has Scaly Leg Mites, have you treated her for those yet? I would put some vaseline, A+D ointment or similar on her legs.
The picture is about 2 months old. I have lathered her feet and legs with Vaseline.

Back
Top Bottom