Turning a shed into a coop.

Question, My floor of the coop is built with the same type of wood as seen in @jthornton coop walls, Should I paint it or cover it with some sort of flooring so they don't get slivers in their feet when scratching around?

OSB is a poor choice for exposed flooring. It has almost no resistance to pretty much anything. Fastest/cheapest fix is probably ugly and thin sheet vinyl/linoleum - or you can prime very well with good quality paint (KILLZ II, etc) and then again with the primer, or two coats of something else. Keep in mind that latex paints will bubble in moisture is trapped underneath them, so your materials need to be dry, and you should consider your bedding/litter method as well. If you are deep litter, that's very hard on paint - the latex barrier really isn't designed to prevent the passage of constant moisture.

Some bad news to add to the good news. Yesterday morning I went out to finish the coop for move in day and found that Perch was attacked and killed. What ever did it took her head off and ate every last piece of her except the feathers and bones. Her bones were literally picked clean.
So now I am down to just the 2 girls Queen Ann and Biscuit.

The good news is I got them moved into the new coop and they are now locked up and safe. I did notice that I will need to add more cleats to the ramp. I thought they were close enough, but thats not the case, they still slide to much. Other then that they seem to really like their new home and I can now keep them locked in until I can safely let them out into the run. So here they are in their new home.

IMG_20201013_151317962_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201013_151346783_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201013_151414119.jpg
IMG_20201013_151426948.jpg
IMG_20201013_151538151.jpg
IMG_20201013_151624165.jpg
IMG_20201013_152705857.jpg
IMG_20201013_173009140.jpg

Yesterday morning I went out to finish the coop for move in day and found that Perch was attacked and killed. What ever did it took her head off and ate every last piece of her except the feathers and bones. Her bones were literally picked clean.
Bummer!! :(
Where were they housed?
Dang, like a day late and chicken short.
Glad they are safe now.

Bummer!! :(
Where were they housed?
Dang, like a day late and chicken short.
Glad they are safe now.
They were in their old coop. It was one of those crappy prefabs. It was to small to lock them in. There was no way I could put food and water in with them. With the new coop they can have their food and water in the coop and will be safe until I get home from work to let them out in the run.

Just a little update, So far they are loving the new coop and run. The ramp doesn't seem to be a big issue, some how they are getting up and down just fine. The only issue so far is when I collect eggs it's a really Easter egg hunt LOL. I put the old nesting boxes from the other coop in there and they are laying everywhere but there.
Today I got their electric run in for the water heater, built a new waterer and hung the shade/wind/snow block up.

IMG_20201017_154229130.jpg

IMG_20201017_155300958.jpg

And a pic of the pop door, It's 3/4 inch Plexiglas hung on a pully system.
IMG_20201017_154119436.jpg

I think tomorrow I will repaint the coop.

First thing I see is a lack of draft free ventilation up high. It's going to be hard to do with that loft up that high. It would be a lot easier to clean the poop if the loft was lower and no more than 30" deep.

This is my new poop table with roost and junk...
View attachment 1868267

JT
Thanks for posting a pic of your roost area. I really like the idea of a poop table! I hadn't thought of that before & might incorporate it into my coop design. Would nesting boxes work underneath?

Back
Top Bottom