Turning duck eggs before incubating?

DuckyBabies

Songster
Oct 15, 2018
When you collect duck eggs, before incubating, are you supposed to turn them while waiting to incubate? If so, how do you turn them and how often?

When you collect duck eggs, before incubating, are you supposed to turn them while waiting to incubate? If so, how do you turn them and how often?
Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Turning eggs does improve hatch-ability, depending on how long they are being stored before setting.. if only a day or two I don't personally bother... but up to a week to 10 days turning is recomended... Longer term storage has other techniques which include storing fat side down or even inside a plastic bag, not recommended for short term storage though.

Place them in a paper (allows breathing) carton pointy end down and use a FAT book to elevate one end then the other... 3 times per day... or more, preferably an ODD amount of times.

Some people even use their standard turners and just let them run until setting.

Glad you already know to set them all at once!

Happy hatching! :fl :jumpy:jumpy

Thank you! I will only be collecting for a week before I put them all in the incubator. I am also trying to figure out the best place to put them while waiting. I have them in the right temperature, but does humidity matter much at this point?

Yes... too dry will grow air cells too large and essentially dehydrate the embryo. I haven't experienced too much problem, but my place is very humid ALL the time. Do you know your ambient humidity?
I do not. My mudroom usually stays very humid, but right now it is too cold in there. I have them in the house for now, and trying to find a place humid enough to put them.

Back
Top Bottom