Turning eggs by hand

LilMissPetie

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Michigan
Hello, I am new to all of this. I am on day 4 and have been turning the eggs by hand, at least 3 times a day. Is that enough? Should it be more than that? How long should I wait in between turns? I have never done this before, so Just looking for tips or advice, what has worked for you and what hasn't. Thanks so much, and yes I am already addicted to the BYC forum and haven't even been a member for 24 hours...
big_smile.png

I turn mine twice a day- morning and night. Have had pretty good hatches.

I know several other people that just turn twice or even once a day. If you think about it the eggs in a nest don't get turned very often.

Quote:
Really? I was under the impression that they got turned alot in the nest, just a little bit at a time.

I know with my ducks- their eggs are piled on top of each other- I just don't see how they get turned that much. I have only had 1 broody chicken and she didn't move her eggs except when she got up to eat and drink-usually twice a day.

I try for 3 times a day but at least 2 times a day. I saw some info once that said the first 1.5 weeks was the most critical. My understanding is so that the membrane(?) doesn't get stuck to the inside of the shell. I'm 11 days into a hatch right now, my 3rd or 4th hatch. My hatch rates are improving
smile.png

I turn mine 3 times a day which is the recommended minimum and you should always turn eggs an odd number of times a day so that the embryo is at a different side of the egg on alternate nights to avoid the chick sticking
thumbsup.gif
Hope this helps
smile.png

3-5 times a day.Plus it depends on the egg.If it is chicken then three times are good.If its turkey or duck then i would recommend 5.

Also dont forget to stop turning them on lockdown
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom