Turning eggs.

LocalJuiceBox

Chirping
Mar 15, 2022
Since I just got my new clutch, I wanted to know how often should I turn them per day, and how often should I candle them?

I hear this often but don't get why it matters.
Care to explain?
If you turn them at exactly even intervals, it doesn't matter. (So every 12 hours, or every 8 hours, or every 6 hours, or something like that.) But for most people that is not possible.

If you turn them at the same times each day, unevenly spaced, then it comes out even over the course of two days.

Example: turn at 6 am, noon, and 6pm makes two sets of 6 hours and one 12 hours. But which side is up during that long night will alternate from one day to the next, because there is an odd number of total turns in the day.

For some people, the longest stretch will be nighttime, for other people it will be when they are away at work or school.

Always an odd number, 3 or 5, turn them back every other turn. Stop turning on day 18. Most people candle every 3 days, but it can be more or less. Be sure of the temperature and humidity sensors on your incubator, always calibrate them. :]

I'm interested too, I can't imagine a hen counting to an odd number.
Hens are moving/rotating their eggs multiple times every hour. Automated turners are also constantly rotating eggs. When hand turning eggs it is best to turn them odd number of times. It helps prevent the embryo from sitting in the same position for to long and sticking to the side. Especially at night, eggs sit for long periods of time without moving. If you turn an at even numbers, the eggs are always resting on the same side every night.

Sorry if it's hard to understand. I'm having a bit of trouble explaining it.

They do! We have dog houses and iglues and all sorts of fun hides for them to hide in. And of course the ducklings and chicks are kept inside of one of the trailers when they first hatch and are later moved to a pen especially for them until they are old enough.
Update: The incubator is on it's way!!

Always an odd number, 3 or 5, turn them back every other turn. Stop turning on day 18. Most people candle every 3 days, but it can be more or less. Be sure of the temperature and humidity sensors on your incubator, always calibrate them. :]
Unfortunately my incubator is still on the way so they are in a homeade incubator .Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom