tv and children*rant*

im almost 21 and staying inside was a punishment like someone said. when i was younger we would always be outside even on dates or hanging with friends we always wanted to be outside. if i were ever to adopt children i dont think ill have a tv in my house. i understand if you are working and the tv can keep them out of trouble but to much of it can change you. my favorite shows are law and order special victims unit doesnt come on very often but when it does i watch it lol.

We never got it at all (I figure the time with the kids will fly by- why would I want to spend it like a zombie on the couch?)! We do have a dvd player, but my kids watch 3 hours of tv (movies) a week. From what I see at other peoples house it is mostly crap anyway,so I don't feel like we are missing anything
smile.png
!
Quote:

Growing up my Mom monitored how much and what tv shows we could watch. Other then that it was chores or we had to go out and play. If we got one her nerves we got religated to the sand box in the back yard. Of course the tv shows I watched back then are nothing compared to what kids have access to today. Even at my age , I have a very hard time watching some things on TV, more so with the "comedies". The language that the shows are tring to get away with and the content is amazing. I love CSI, Crimianl Minds, my fav is the Big Bang Therory. I dont have "cable" channels and I wont pay for them.
A young friend of mine has a similar situation with her older brother but with video games. Last summer, at the school break, she told me that he stayed inside all summer, never left the house and played games almost 24/7. For one of her younger brothers birthday party, the family went to Magic Mountain and the whole time they were there, the oldest brother complanted and wanted to go home. It got so bad the Mom decided to go and they left the park early so the older kid could go back home and play video games. He was actually goign through withdrawls. Such a shame....this single Mom workes two full time jobs to support her kids and this kid who is of working age stays home to play games.
I feel for the OP especially since she really cant do much to prevent her siblings from getting too much TV time. The only thing I can think of is like another poster stated. Maybe visit and take them hiking or to a museum or other non tv related activity.
On

I got rid of cable in my house and have gotten many praises from my children's teachers for doing so. My kids are much happier playing outside with the chickens and goats or inside reading and playing board games. We have Netflix and an extensive dvd collection, but the only time they watch movies is on Friday and Saturday evenings.

I was very disappointed in the programming that is on TV now. My children only ever watched the Disney Channel. All of these parents that think Spongbob is appropriate for their kids are crazy. Have they ever sat down and watched an episode and listened to how they talk? Even when my kids go to their grandparents or great-grandparents, they have the same rules to follow for TV and movies.

I love tv, but in moderation. My kids definitely belong to the fresh air club. More playing outside than t.v. definitely. Even during the winter they still find plenty to do outside. Some people though replace the tv with computer or games which as far as I am concerned can be just as bad as tv.

Isn't every generation always worried that the media is ruining kids? 50 yrs ago it was comic books. We somehow keep stumbling along. I'm not saying it's ideal; it's not. But I think somehow people manage despite tv, even despite watching a lot of it when they are young. For a lot of disabled people, it's all they can do and their only entertainment.

Its a matter of what they are watching too. An as for video games, they are a double edged sword. Take WOW for example. The game is completely addictive so that's bad... But ask a kid about the economics of the game... Nothing like a 12 year old telling you about supply an demand an how they have to take a percentage of there income to invest in there future. An how they have to test the marked to see what sells an at what price is most profitable.

Quote:
Some games can actually be educational in strict moderation, simulation games in particular. I'll admit, I'm a fan of the Civilization games. There's a neat feature called the "Civilopedia" which contains surprisingly detailed information about each technology, nation, unit, government, and what-have-you. The SimCity and various Tycoon games are also good in this respect.

What I can't stand are these people who sit for hours on end playing them. Except for movies, I get a headache if I stare at a screen for more than one or two hours. I have a friend, actually, who's obsessed with games, despite living in a gorgeous country area. One day while visiting, I convinced him to head outside to search for crawdads in their pond. Ever since then, he's increasingly loved the outdoors.
big_smile.png
So, to the OP, don't give up! There's hope for anyone.

Back
Top Bottom