TWEAK MY COOP~Tweaks on the Cheap

Bought some red barn paint today...am changing colors on the coop to red and hope to paint the trim white. Am working on a multi-use pen before starting the coop tweak so I can move my broody to the pen and out of the coop before the coop gets deconstructed. This extra pen will make a world of difference for my flock management as it's a place for broodies, babies, roosters, those on the cull list, etc.

Priced the hog rings and the pliers that go with at TSC today and gave it a pass....too much money for no more than I would use them. Will just use the zip ties as I did previously, but will cut off the old and apply new ones during the changeover of tarps. Was going to use the metal hog rings to join the hoops to make for a stronger house, but the zip ties have worked amazingly well and are cheap, cheap, cheap. Zip ties it will be.
I hear ya and sure don't blame you for going for the less money route.

frow.gif
Hey, Cowpoke and Aart!!! You tweaking this spring? If so, tell us all about it and show us a pic or two or ten.
big_smile.png

Just got done hobbling together a spare pen for brooding, rooster containment, breeding, etc. Been needing this and have put it off far too long. Used a corner of the porch(soil floor) on our old log shed and then used pallets to form the outer wall~the other outer walls were already latticed. Still working out the finer details but managed to use mostly all scrap wood and even re-used screws...the only new wood on it is one 2x4 used for bracing. The other new material was deer netting applied to the walls to keep small birds in but still allow all the airflow and light I need there. Not bad as far as a recycle goes.. but I'd hate for anyone to look too close at all the toenailed screws and other hideous odes to poor carpentry. I'll paint it later and no one will ever know...paint hides a multitude of sins when scrappin' sheds together.
big_smile.png

I plan to add a few nest boxes to that pen and possibly an outside access for filling the feeder....if I work it right I just may never have to enter the pen at all unless I need to handle the birds or add/maintain deep litter.

Right now am brooding some Khaki Campbell ducklings in half the pen and will contain The Rock in the other half...he's wearing out my one WR's feathers and I don't like to see a barebacked bird in my flock.

I've been soaking wet all day long doing this project and it's supposed to just keep on raining.

frow.gif
Hello Bee and the gang! I need to tweak. I just haven't got the time right now, too much work. Air Conditioning business season has really picked up. I currently have Dominiques (doing my part to help save the Heritage). But I would like to start raising Light Sussex soon. In doing so, I will need to build another coop and double my run. The breed is pretty scarce around here, so it looks like I'm going to have to build or buy a bator and buy some eggs; beings I'm looking for some real Looker traits.

I've pretty much used up all my scrap materials for building another coop, so I'm keeping my eye out for some materials. And I have already used my daughters old trampoline for a portable run to protect my chickens from the hawks, when they are more or less free-ranging. I just wrapped the entire frame with chicken wire and left a gap in it. The actual Jumping tarp keeps them in the shade in our hot weather here in Southeast Texas and the hawks can't see them. And we can move it around.

Interesting thread. I'm glad you started it!
thumbsup.gif

That's how I've seen other folks use the trampolines, Cowpoke. I've never seen someone deconstruct it and use it like Pete has...wonder if the cloth of the trampoline could be utilized for a shade cloth on the hoop run he's making.

I hope you find your LS birds...too bad Pete couldn't send you some from down under, his are gorgeous! Though I have heard that the AMA finds the Aussie strains too large for SOP here in the states?

I can't wait to see if breeding the two strains of WRs I have together will yield a bird with better feather quality, a larger and better egg quality, and better fertility.

Will post pics of the cobbled up coop/pen when I can...still have more tweaking to be done there.

We are having a debate here, so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Hoop coop for ducks ...

I want to do the version where you don't use wood framing around the bottom but instead you put those sturdy metal stakes at the outside corners to support the bow. I figure I can attach all the extra wire to the welded-wire panels when it is still flat, maybe even attach the tarp/water proofing at that stage, then in a jiffy "we" can port it to the desired location, pound in the corner stakes, and have a "hoop coop" ... I'm still debating if I want the ends open so it is mostly a feed shelter, or if I want doors so I can close the ducks in at night.

Dad wants to build a more traditional hoop coop with wooden framing, etc.

So far our ducks prefer to sleep outside in their run. They have pretty well snubbed the lovely pallet coop we constructed for them. Occasionally one will go in there to lay an egg, maybe. I could really use that coop for other things!

One would be "easier," the other would be "better." Is the "easy" version such a terrible idea that we should discard it?

Maybe you could use 2" pvc for the Runners or base with the hoop attached to the 2" with holes for the stakes in the runners for anchoring.. That would make it easy to relocate. Something like this.
images

Search google for PVC Hoop Coop..

Last edited:
We are having a debate here, so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Hoop coop for ducks ...

I want to do the version where you don't use wood framing around the bottom but instead you put those sturdy metal stakes at the outside corners to support the bow. I figure I can attach all the extra wire to the welded-wire panels when it is still flat, maybe even attach the tarp/water proofing at that stage, then in a jiffy "we" can port it to the desired location, pound in the corner stakes, and have a "hoop coop" ... I'm still debating if I want the ends open so it is mostly a feed shelter, or if I want doors so I can close the ducks in at night.

Dad wants to build a more traditional hoop coop with wooden framing, etc.

So far our ducks prefer to sleep outside in their run. They have pretty well snubbed the lovely pallet coop we constructed for them. Occasionally one will go in there to lay an egg, maybe. I could really use that coop for other things!

One would be "easier," the other would be "better." Is the "easy" version such a terrible idea that we should discard it?

Sure can...many folks using range coops for pasturing meaties in just that manner. You could even reinforce that hoop shape with just nylon ropes tied to the corners so that it retains its shape when you transport and you merely need to pound in the stakes at the new location. Now, the wind may be a factor, so have to anchor it but good, and it won't hold up to snow in the winter time without a good frame or T posts supporting it on the sides but for simple range use it would be great.

Sure can...many folks using range coops for pasturing meaties in just that manner. You could even reinforce that hoop shape with just nylon ropes tied to the corners so that it retains its shape when you transport and you merely need to pound in the stakes at the new location. Now, the wind may be a factor, so have to anchor it but good, and it won't hold up to snow in the winter time without a good frame or T posts supporting it on the sides but for simple range use it would be great.

I think a range shelter would also work great for turkeys ... they are out on the range during summer and fall, before the snow.

For the ducks, I'd love to be able to put the runners in a different spot where they can do more running.

Maybe you could use 2" pvc for the Runners or base with the hoop attached to the 2" with holes for the stakes in the runners for anchoring.. That would make it easy to relocate. Something like this.
images

Search google for PVC Hoop Coop..

A friend has a really great Hoop Coop with a super sturdy PVC frame. I like the idea of PVC for the runners down the long sides. I'm mostly trying to not over build anything as that tends to bog down the project.

Subscribing! I bought an old farmstead with tons of scrap laying around. Since we live on one income, I tend to "tweak" my coop with things I can find laying around the farm. Love this thread!

I am hoping to make myself a little hoop house shelter out in the field for the chickens to hide in and make more use of the property. Since my chicken yards were once old feed lot space, there sure isn't much for cover out there. Just lots of grass.....

Subscribing! I bought an old farmstead with tons of scrap laying around. Since we live on one income, I tend to "tweak" my coop with things I can find laying around the farm. Love this thread!

I am hoping to make myself a little hoop house shelter out in the field for the chickens to hide in and make more use of the property. Since my chicken yards were once old feed lot space, there sure isn't much for cover out there. Just lots of grass.....

Oh, please tell us all about it when you do and maybe take a few pics? I LOVE scrappin' construction...it's the hillbilly way of life and holds a rich heritage for me!
big_smile.png
I just butchered...I mean...built
lol.png
an all purpose pen out of pallets and scrap wood and it looks like a hot mess but it's going to do the job. I'll take pics when next I can get a minute and have it all finished.

Back
Top Bottom