TWEAK MY COOP~Tweaks on the Cheap

Good tweak!!!!
thumbsup.gif
Anything that makes the flock more comfy is a good tweak, IMO.

Random question that I hope isn't offensive but I don't think it will be because there's not really anything offensive about it?

Anyway, how are hoop coops/runs cheap? I mean, I can actually see it for using it as an actual coop because you can build a 4x8 for like $22 plus the wood/screws, which isn't much (especially compared to a regular wood framed run), or an 8x8 for like $40 compared to $200, $500, $1000 for either of those. So I can see that part. So I guess I phrased it wrong. But I was trying to price a, rather large, run and it wound up being either more or the same as just buying welded wire. Of course it's way cheaper than HC and stronger than either but still. This was of course for like a 24 or 30 foot run which i wanted to build but of course I know that most of the applications of hoop coops are for much smaller runs so really it shouldn't even be a question. And also I'm not even sure if I'll spoil them with that size run anymore. That's just about the distance between the coop and the old dog house I wanted it to go to and the current 6x12 run seems really small but then again it has the coop sitting in the middle of it so I'm sure with wide open space they'd be happier so maybe I'll just go smaller. I don't know, still need to finish the new coop and add the run.

The current one was free since a neighbor gave us the kennel when he moved years ago.

Random question that I hope isn't offensive but I don't think it will be because there's not really anything offensive about it?

Anyway, how are hoop coops/runs cheap? I mean, I can actually see it for using it as an actual coop because you can build a 4x8 for like $22 plus the wood/screws, which isn't much (especially compared to a regular wood framed run), or an 8x8 for like $40 compared to $200, $500, $1000 for either of those. So I can see that part. So I guess I phrased it wrong. But I was trying to price a, rather large, run and it wound up being either more or the same as just buying welded wire. Of course it's way cheaper than HC and stronger than either but still. This was of course for like a 24 or 30 foot run which i wanted to build but of course I know that most of the applications of hoop coops are for much smaller runs so really it shouldn't even be a question. And also I'm not even sure if I'll spoil them with that size run anymore. That's just about the distance between the coop and the old dog house I wanted it to go to and the current 6x12 run seems really small but then again it has the coop sitting in the middle of it so I'm sure with wide open space they'd be happier so maybe I'll just go smaller. I don't know, still need to finish the new coop and add the run.

The current one was free since a neighbor gave us the kennel when he moved years ago.

I'm not sure what you are asking, exactly, or to what you are comparing the hoop coop or run. The cattle panels are rigid wire as opposed to welded wire, which is much more small gauge and flexible, so even if you hooped it up over a certain space, it wouldn't support the weight of snow or even support a tarp very well in heavy winds or rain. If you are talking about using the cattle panels for the sides of a run or to create a hooped up run that is very large, then it gets pretty costly, so it's not cheap...and no one has ever said cattle panel runs are cheaper than welded wire runs that I know of.

The only way cattle panels used for chickens is considered cheap~as in cheaper than alternative materials of similar rigidity~ is if using them to create a coop structure or small run that you would like to cover for winter time or shade for summer months.

I'm not sure what you are asking, exactly, or to what you are comparing the hoop coop or run.  The cattle panels are rigid wire as opposed to welded wire, which is much more small gauge and flexible, so even if you hooped it up over a certain space, it wouldn't support the weight of snow or even support a tarp very well in heavy winds or rain.  If you are talking about using the cattle panels for the sides of a run or to create a hooped up run that is very large, then it gets pretty costly, so it's not cheap...and no one has ever said cattle panel runs are cheaper than welded wire runs that I know of. 

The only way cattle panels used for chickens is considered cheap~as in cheaper than alternative materials of similar rigidity~ is if using them to create a coop structure or small run that you would like to cover for winter time or shade for summer months. 

Sorry, I'm not sure I really phrased it right or was even asking anything and got a bit rambly. I guess what I was trying to say is that I had heard it said a lot that it was cheap so I was surprised when it added up to so much when I thought of using it for the run. However I guess it IS cheap if using it for a smaller run or coop. I guess there's not really any way to make a run of that size for cheap. So therefore I think I'm just going to make the run smaller. Still bigger than what they have but not 30 feet long or anything. That said, I am positive the hoop coop definitely would have been a lot cheaper than what we've put into our new coop so far. We found a plan that was around $200 or $300 for 4x8 but then we made it 6x8 to accommodate for nest boxes and a storage area plus lots of other expenses we didn't account for. We've been working on it since March but haven't been working lately. I guess I probably should have checked this thread BEFORE we started building. However like I mentioned we truly thought it was going to be that cheap. Should have known it never is. Anyway, sorry for rambling (twice now) and phrasing it wrong. Guess I was trying to say that I realized it's only really cheap with smaller coops which should have been common knowledge and frankly no one ever suggested to me it would be cheap for a big one so it's not that, I just assumed it would be but forgot it adds up.

In any event, while I'm hear, anyone got any cheaper ideas for the run? Cause I wanted to go buy wire but forgot the wood adds up plus my dad doesn't really want to build a run, wants to just use the dog panels or buy more but those are really expensive, even on Craigslist, for the amount you get.

My hoop coop is 10x12 and cost around $300 to build, so that will give you an idea of the comparison between a 4x6 or 4x8 coop as opposed to a 10x12 for the same or comparable price.

Welded wire is about as cheap as it gets for building a run unless you use actual chicken wire, which won't be as sturdy nor hold up for as long as the welded wire. If you don't need to think about predators, such as with my setup, you can get by with tough plastic mesh that will hold in any chicken and stand up to time but wouldn't keep out a predator.

My hoop coop is 10x12 and cost around $300 to build, so that will give you an idea of the comparison between a 4x6 or 4x8 coop as opposed to a 10x12 for the same or comparable price. 

Welded wire is about as cheap as it gets for building a run unless you use actual chicken wire, which won't be as sturdy nor hold up for as long as the welded wire.  If you don't need to think about predators, such as with my setup, you can get by with tough plastic mesh that will hold in any chicken and stand up to time but wouldn't keep out a predator. 

Wow that definitely is really cheap! If I ever expand I'm thinking maybe I'll go with the hoop idea next time.

Maybe I should go withthe wire then, especially since TSC has a 4 ft x 100 ft roll on sale for I think $60 instead of $70. Not that much of a difference but still a savings.

Although I'm wondering if I shouldn't just make the run smaller and go with the hoop thing after all?

I guess now I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to do it without as much wood because the wood seems to be the most expensive part.

But at the same time, I'm almost 6' and my dad's 6' 3" so I don't want to be crouching all the time.

So far it seems the chickens are a money pit and I'd like them to be less of a money pit.

Oh! And as for predators, we have them but have been lucky so far. We never skirted the run since it was going into winter (though one side has wooden railroad ties along it, the side by the woods) and no roof except bird netting when we had some fly out and plywood in a couple parts for shade. Haven't had any issues YET but know it's probably a matter of time. We had one hawk attack free ranging months ago but no injuries and one fox at the gate just recently, dog scared him off.

We have mostly coyotes and hawks but the coyotes haven't been around much, just hear them occasionally. The fox we haven't seen in a long time before now.

Wow that definitely is really cheap! If I ever expand I'm thinking maybe I'll go with the hoop idea next time.

Maybe I should go withthe wire then, especially since TSC has a 4 ft x 100 ft roll on sale for I think $60 instead of $70. Not that much of a difference but still a savings.

Although I'm wondering if I shouldn't just make the run smaller and go with the hoop thing after all?

I guess now I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to do it without as much wood because the wood seems to be the most expensive part.

But at the same time, I'm almost 6' and my dad's 6' 3" so I don't want to be crouching all the time.

So far it seems the chickens are a money pit and I'd like them to be less of a money pit.

There's always T posts....are they more or less expensive than the wood you plan to use? You can always watch local ads and CL for folks getting rid of chainlink fencing real cheap and also places that are throwing out scrap lumber. The best way to keep expenses low with chickens is to scavenge for scrap materials for housing and fencing if you can.

Back
Top Bottom