Twenty year old chinese goose has multiple problems help please

Lynnsfarm

Songster
8 Years
Nov 19, 2014
She has had knee problems for over a year. Usually gets better after a couple weeks of in house care. She has compensated for the leg without it affecting much of her routine until now.
First off the only vet that does geese is a hundred miles away and unbelievably expensive. I can't afford it.
Ok the things that are different are; She doesn't clean herself anymore in pool or bathtub. For about a week or so.
She doesn't swish her beak in the water bowl anymore while eating like she has her entire life.
She won't just stay in one spot for long at all and she is determined to walk with her wings on ground for support.
Her baby playpen that she has had her whole life she constantly thinks she can get through the netted sides and pushes her head and chest into it over and over again. She does still eat but its a nightmare to help her settle down and concentrate on eating and not trying to walk into her dish.
Im trying to find information if all this means she's becoming senile or something like that? Is it time to put her down? She doesn't seem to have her normal instincts anymore. I love her so much its killing me. I want to do what's best for her. Thank you for your time

She has had knee problems for over a year. Usually gets better after a couple weeks of in house care. She has compensated for the leg without it affecting much of her routine until now.
First off the only vet that does geese is a hundred miles away and unbelievably expensive. I can't afford it.
Ok the things that are different are; She doesn't clean herself anymore in pool or bathtub. For about a week or so.
She doesn't swish her beak in the water bowl anymore while eating like she has her entire life.
She won't just stay in one spot for long at all and she is determined to walk with her wings on ground for support.
Her baby playpen that she has had her whole life she constantly thinks she can get through the netted sides and pushes her head and chest into it over and over again. She does still eat but its a nightmare to help her settle down and concentrate on eating and not trying to walk into her dish.
Im trying to find information if all this means she's becoming senile or something like that? Is it time to put her down? She doesn't seem to have her normal instincts anymore. I love her so much it’s killing me. I want to do what's best for her. Thank you for your time
Poor baby! It may be old age related, 20 years is very old. @MissLydia has more experience with elderly geese than I do.

Thank you for your attention. The thing that worries me the most is she isn't drinking water to my knowledge she dunked her head under in tub but she didn't tip her head. Im adding water to her lettuce mixture she gets a little from that 2 times a day.

I wonder if you tried some Cosequin with MSM in it to see if it will help with her walking? I am giving it to Muscovy drake who is 12.5 yrs old he limped till I started him on it. She maybe in pain and that is why your seeing her act different.
Ok ill try it but as I mentioned this has been issue on and off for over a year. Her knee is a little red and swollen. Ty for input much appreciated

Ok ill try it but as I mentioned this has been issue on and off for over a year. Her knee is a little red and swollen. Ty for input much appreciated
And it could be her body is just wearing out. Very hard to accept I know but doing all you can for her is important too so try some Cosequin with MSM my drake who weighs 13 lb gets by a half tablespoon over a small treat. Since it’s powder I put a small amount of water over to soak up the powder. Also you could try her on liquid b BComplex TSC usually has it if your in the US. 1 ml again over a small amount of treat or by mouth we have info on how to give liquids if you need it. My gander was close to 15 when he passed I wish he’d lived to 20 that’s wonderful you’ve had her so long.

I'm sorry to hear that. A friend bought me this and I haven't had to buy any yet. I had no idea it was so expensive. Since I use so little I probably won't ever have to buy it. IMG_1728.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom