twised foot

Ecowtent

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2016
First post and first chickens as of last weekend. So excited, but worried about one of my little hens (I hope it is a hen). One of the chicks has a twisted foot. It doesn't seem to bother her besides the fact that she can't roost up high. Any thoughts on if this is a big issue? I can exchange any roosters which makes me think I can exchange her if this is a big issue. I set a roosting box on the floor for her. Will this solve her issue of not being able to jump up into the box?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Curled under toes can be a sign of riboflavin deficiency. I would start poultry vitamins in the water, or give her some ground up BComplex in a treat daily. If it has been going on a long time, it may not be treatable. Even if you trade her, I would still give her vitamins.

Ecowtent

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2016
We are feeding medicated feed for chicks. Can I also give vitamin in the water? That pic was from Sunday and her foot has started to open since then. I am hoping!

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Yes, give vitamins including riboflavin (vitamin B 2.) Medicated food usually means that it contains a small amount of amprollium for prevention of coccidiosis.

Top Bottom