Two 19 week old hens not laying yet.

Your red hen seems to be molting. The others won’t lay in the next couple of months (in my opinion). I really like the black one BTW

Your red hen seems to be molting. The others won’t lay in the next couple of months (in my opinion). I really like the black one BTW

In my experience ISA brown do not molt, they just get more raggedy with age (due to the feathers becoming brittle and low quality). The only molting they do is well after having finished their laying cycles, at around three years old

Have your birds started squatting yet or checking out the nest boxes? I agree it’s a tad early but I’d be looking for those signs besides just the red in the comb
They have been going in and out of the coop more. Checking things out. They free range and never had interest in staying inside once the doors were open.

ok are flaked or pellet shells better? To put to the side?
I've never tried the pelleted kind (which are compressed with a mix of shell, coral and/or limestone I believe). The flaked kind should be 100% smashed shells.

I also have been mixing in some eggshells as well since that seems to encourage the birds to visit the container the shells are in as well, though you won't have eggshell of your own to use if no one is laying! ;)

Back
Top Bottom