Two 6 month+ old hens crowing and not laying!

They really don’t seem to be roosters though! The white one is definitely not one (she’s docile, small, and quite + doesn’t have the sickle tail feathers or a large comb) and the black Australorp doesn’t match what male Australorps look like but she is quite fiesty!
They might not seem like roosters, but they are. Both of them. They each have long and pointy hackle and saddle feathers and they're crowing. Cockerels. Also, the other one is not a Black Australorp. Or at least not a purebred one in any way. They are definite males. Sorry. The white one definitely is. And the black one is 100% male as well. Sorry again for the bad news.

They are two cockerels. You can easly see it because they have long and pointy saddle feathers
Not all the roosters are mean or have a large comb, it depends on the breed and on the individual bird, too.
Plus, neither of them two look like an Australorp to me
Well... that changes things.

Now that I take a closer look at them, they do seem to have saddle feathers and pointed hackle feathers. Just the other they I saw them raise their hackle feathers in a short stand-off too!

Does this mean they are both 100% male?

Since it’s confirmed that they’re both boys, should I get pullets? We originally got them for the purpose of eggs, but honestly it doesn’t matter much since they’re more like pets now. The crowing is the only problem. We can keep them quiet for the early mornings but during the day we let them out and they occasionally crow (though not as much as I’ve seen other crow). Another thing, why do they never crow when someone is around? I’ve sat with them for hours and I never hear a crow, but once I leave they start again. Why is this?

Since it’s confirmed that they’re both boys, should I get pullets? We originally got them for the purpose of eggs, but honestly it doesn’t matter much since they’re more like pets now. The crowing is the only problem. We can keep them quiet for the early mornings but during the day we let them out and they occasionally crow (though not as much as I’ve seen other crow). Another thing, why do they never crow when someone is around? I’ve sat with them for hours and I never hear a crow, but once I leave they start again. Why is this?
You should get them pullets, thing is, a good rooster ratio is around 7-10 pullets per rooster. So, you'd have to get a lot of pullets. As for the crowing when people aren't around, I have no idea. My roosters love to sing whenever I come near.

Back
Top Bottom