Two 6 month+ old hens crowing and not laying!

Pics
We made an agreement with our neighbours that they wouldn’t crow before 8am or after sunset and I don’t think there’s any rules here specifying that you can’t keep roosters. That why we’re thinking of keeping them for as long as we can. I don’t think there’s much of a rehoming industry around here so I’m not sure how I’d be able to find someone willing to take them either.

How often do roosters normally crow? I feel like these two are rather quiet compared to what I’ve seen. They only crow every so often so most of the time it’s quiet. I’m still curious as to why they don’t ever crow when a person is around them though...
Good luck with that agreement. Especially in summer when the sun rises earlier. We have a few people around us that have roosters. I've heard them as early as 530 am. Doesnt bother me but I dont think that agreement is going to last with your neighbors.

Good luck with that agreement. Especially in summer when the sun rises earlier. We have a few people around us that have roosters. I've heard them as early as 530 am. Doesnt bother me but I dont think that agreement is going to last with your neighbors.
We’re keeping them in the garage for the night so they won’t start crowing till we wake up and let them out (which is around 8)!

I've had them crow around the clock. Middle of the night, before dawn, supper time, when the wind blows, when a leaf drops, etc. They don't have off switches or timers you can set. You will find out. Hopefully you don't create bad blood with your neighbors because of it.

Last edited:
I think you can, I put my roosters in a nest box with a door, let them out late, and put them to bed earlier. I have not (knock on wood) had complaints in a while.

Sometimes hens crow when there is no rooster, but I would suggest finding a different place for them, because you usually can’t do anything about it.

Back
Top Bottom