Two and a half old male demonstrating hormonal behaviors already

LizGio

Songster
May 18, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I have a cockerel that hatched March 4th. He is just starting to crow which is normal. What concerns me is that he's trying to mate my silkies and his siblings. He's also tidbiting to other chickens already. He hasn't attacked me but he's definitely asserted himself towards me. What's going on?
PXL_20230513_202741477.PORTRAIT.jpg

That’s what roosters do…. Roosters can start mating at 4 months of age, while hens will start at around 5 months. He’s asserting dominance over the ladies.

He's not even 3 months old yet
He’s asserting dominance. The explanation is that puberty has hit. Their hormones are telling them to dominate the flock. At that age it isn't about fertilizing eggs, it's about dominance. When the hormones hit the boys will often fight among themselves to determine which is most dominant. They don't always fight but they often do. They want to mate the girls. In chicken mating the one on the bottom is being dominated by the one on top, either willingly or by force. Usually with young cockerels it is by force, because no self-respecting pullet or hen considers them worthy to do it willingly.

He’s asserting dominance. The explanation is that puberty has hit. Their hormones are telling them to dominate the flock. At that age it isn't about fertilizing eggs, it's about dominance. When the hormones hit the boys will often fight among themselves to determine which is most dominant. They don't always fight but they often do. They want to mate the girls. In chicken mating the one on the bottom is being dominated by the one on top, either willingly or by force. Usually with young cockerels it is by force, because no self-respecting pullet or hen considers them worthy to do it willingly.
That makes sense. This is the only time I hatched out five roosters and one female. I got a couple more babies from tractor supply to throw in there with them since it was so unbalanced. I'm not keeping all the boys. They will be a meal eventually. I guess because there's so many boys there's more competition and more to prove. That's probably why they're starting this at an earlier age.

That makes sense. This is the only time I hatched out five roosters and one female. I got a couple more babies from tractor supply to throw in there with them since it was so unbalanced. I'm not keeping all the boys. They will be a meal eventually. I guess because there's so many boys there's more competition and more to prove. That's probably why they're starting this at an earlier age.
Exactly, it’s not so much about wanting to mate it’s just the competition between the males. It’s not uncommon for them to start this young either. It also depends on what breed, some breeds mature faster then others

Back
Top Bottom