TWO Beak Deformities in 6 chick hatch. Incubation error?

MiracleHatch

Chirping
Apr 24, 2020
I had two hens go broody on the same day. I gave the new broody three blue eggs and the reliable Buff Orp broody 4 eggs. Around day 7 of incubation I found new broody had abandoned the eggs for most of the day and was on other fresh laid eggs in a different nest box. The eggs were fully cool. I moved the 3 blue eggs under the reliable Buff broody and let the new broody sit on fake eggs. Last night I brought all the eggs inside to incubator hatch today and then I’ll return some to each mom tonight at the same time to reduce fighting.

However, TWO of the chicks from the blue eggs have beak deformities. The first was horribly malpositioned in the narrow end of the egg, air sack was on one side of narrow end and bottom beak was longer than upper beak. Head was over the wing.

Second chick properly positioned in the egg but lower beak is slightly longer and very slightly sideways to the right. Cross beak will likely result.

Third blue egg might be a late quitter. It doesn’t look quite right when I candle it and no internal pip.

Is it likely that the beak deformities are from incubation error under an inexperienced broody hen?

I’ll be doing another incubator test hatch immediately to rule out genetic issues with the Whiting True Blue roos that fathered this hatch for the first time.

Feed: Dumor Non-GMO Pelleted Layer Feed from Tractor Supply, Dumor Non-GMO 6 grain scratch (1 Tbsp per bird), dried meal worms (1 Tbsp per bird), black oil sunflower seeds (1/2 Tbsp per bird), kitchen vegetable scraps mostly lettuce, tomato, bell pepper tops and various weeds, bell pepper leaves, & produce pulled from organic, NEVER sprayed garden. I feed zero GMO corn products.

Back
Top Bottom