Two Broodies setting/raising chicks on 1 coop? Any risks?

Scatterknit

Songster
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
Georgia
First time broody grandma here.

i had two hens go broody at the same time. I moved them to a separate coop that is 4' by 4' and has a ramp down to a 4' by 8' enclosed run. I'm wondering after they hatch their eggs if there is likely to be any nastiness between the two mamas. Anyone done this before? They're likely to hatch around the same time.

A lot depends upon the temperament of the hens involved. Some will co parent all the chicks. Others will keep their clutches separate, and some will quarrel. 48 square ft may be a little limited as far as space goes. What breeds are the hens?

A blue splash Orpington and a barred rock. Pre-motherhood they were two of my sweetest and they haven't been mean Broodies yet. No real fuss when I moved them and they let me pet them when I check on them. I've noticed they swap nests once in awhile.

I guess if they fight I could just take one of the mamas to another coop and let them have just one mama but that seems a little cruel.
1f622.png

What you're doing is what I prefer to do. If I can, I set two clutches of eggs under broodies on the same day. I use divided nest box so each hen has her own nest space, and have the broodies confined to a cage on the floor of the coop while they set to help keep them organized. When the chicks hatch, I remove the divider so the chicks can move between broodies as they wish (and the hens learn to share). When the chicks are up and about, I remove the cage, and then the chicks and broodies mix with the flock and have access to the whole coop and pasture. My coops are pretty spacious.

I've done this for two hatching seasons now. So far, so good.

A blue splash Orpington and a barred rock. Pre-motherhood they were two of my sweetest and they haven't been mean Broodies yet. No real fuss when I moved them and they let me pet them when I check on them. I've noticed they swap nests once in awhile.

I guess if they fight I could just take one of the mamas to another coop and let them have just one mama but that seems a little cruel.
1f622.png

Everything sounds positive about the hens. Sometimes good husbandry can appear a little 'cruel'. Moving one of the hens if they get fighting and injuring chicks is good husbandry. Again, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom