Two brooding silkies

Angie-Bob

Chirping
Oct 29, 2020
I have two brooding silkies. They are about two weeks apart from hatching. Today I noticed two baby chicks have already hatched from one of the hens. My question is will the other hen who does not have any hatching yet harm the other baby chicks? Should I separate them? I would hate to have anything happen to the babies! 😬
This is my first hatch and I can use some insight. Please help 🥺
I’m hoping that the other hen is in mommy mode and won’t hurt the chicks 🤷‍♀️
177D41A2-28B3-4096-BF2A-AC2B38F8BA13.jpeg

Last edited:
I have two brooding silkies. They are about two weeks apart from hatching. Today I noticed two baby chicks have already hatched from one of the hens. My question is will the other hen who does not have any hatching yet harm the other baby chicks? Should I separate them? I would hate to have anything happen to the babies! 😬
This is my first hatch and I can use some insight. Please help 🥺
I’m hoping that the other hen is in mommy mode and won’t hurt the chicks 🤷‍♀️View attachment 2580553
Its best to seperate them into brooders away from any other chickens.

Silkies are likely to be fine like that. I had a pair of Phoenix hens (called the shining twins) that always always always brooded a nest together. Absolutely terrifying birds.

How high are the silkies in terms of pecking order in the flock? Unless they're at the bottom position, you're usually safe to leave the whole group with the flock after hatch.

Its best to seperate them into brooders away from any other chickens.
They are separated from the other chickens, so it’s just the two of them in the brooder. I’m just concerned that the hen who’s chicks haven’t hatched yet will harm the chicks that have hatched from the other hen. So ....I have one who’s eggs are hatching as we speak, and the other hens eggs will be hatching in about two weeks.

There are benefits to keeping the chicks and hens with the flock. Integration after the separation can be a challenge, in addition to the extra daily chores. As long as they are not the bottom of the pecking order I would leave them be. I would not expect one setting hen to harm another's chicks especially with Silkies.

Silkies are likely to be fine like that. I had a pair of Phoenix hens (called the shining twins) that always always always brooded a nest together. Absolutely terrifying birds.

How high are the silkies in terms of pecking order in the flock? Unless they're at the bottom position, you're usually safe to leave the whole group with the flock after hatch.
They are pretty low in the pecking order. I have a variety of birds I have Kochen ‘s, Sussex, barred rock and silky rooster‘s and others.
so in your experience you think that the babies will be OK with the other hen that’s brooding

There are benefits to keeping the chicks and hens with the flock. Integration after the separation can be a challenge, in addition to the extra daily chores. As long as they are not the bottom of the pecking order I would leave them be. I would not expect one setting hen to harm another's chicks especially with Silkies.
Thats true but, its just best to keep them away from the flock. They might be fine if its only two of them. My silkie didn't even care when I put chicks in with her while she was broody.

Thank you 😊. The problem is they are low on the pecking order. I would love to keep them with the other chickens but I separated them because the other hens were picking on them while they aware brooding.

Back
Top Bottom