Two Broody Geese and One Nest!

DuckyBoys

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Colorado
big_smile.png
These girls thought sharing the same nest for laying meant sharing the same nest for sitting. You should have seen how confused they looked once the urge to go broody came!
gig.gif
They are not mean geese - so the half hearted attempts to chase the other away just wasn't good enough!

Poor things! Now, everytime one gets up the other one steals her eggs. The other day during the midst of eggnapping the missing one came back and then stole the entire nest the napper was sitting on! LOL...thief #1 got confused and sat down halfway between the two!

17 eggs between them - due to hatch anyday!

100_3733.jpg

And here is my dewlap nest - too bad they are probably half buff geese and half dewlap. She just keeps laying and laying and laying though - good practice for next year I suspect!

100_3729.jpg

Last edited:
I checked the nest yeasterday and the one only has two, she's the one who will get up to take a swim, while the other has 15! That mamma won't budge even if the dog is standing on top of her!

I can't wait to see if any hatch...should be anyday now.
clap.gif

Quote:
That is when it really becomes crazy! The goose that hatches one is not going to want to let it out of the nest because the other will try to steal it. I have lost goslings when two mothers played tug of war with the gosling in the middle! Were you lucky enough that both geese became broody and started to set the same day? If so it may not be so bad but if one started a week later than the other and the eggs were mixed up by all the stealing back and forth your mama geese are going th be faced with the tough choice: does she give her attention to the live goslings or to the live eggs waiting to hatch? Either way one group faces death because of this mix up. I hope for the best for you and your geese!

The geese are just over a year...and they did go broody at exactly the same time because they were only using one nest at first and it contained all the eggs. They started hanging around on the nest once there were about 12-14 eggs.

So far nothing...I did try to check this morning but I didn't hear any peeping...we'll see. I did notice that thief #1 managed to fanagle some eggs back to her nest...
big_smile.png
Looks about even now.

They have been faithfully sitting but I am not so sure about the date they started. Sometime after April 10th or so because I made a post showing one laying, but that was before they went broody.

I certainly don't need any more goslings...but what does need have to do with it!
wink.png

my mallard hen and my baby goat shared a dog house... the mallard was sitting on a nest on one side and the goat on the other... she didn't seem to mind... he died the other day now she shares the dog house with my other mallard hen

Back
Top Bottom