Two Broody Hens - 2 failed hatches

LeslieRowley

Chirping
May 6, 2020
I'm looking for some suggestions. I have 2 broody hens that have been broody for over 2 months. Yes they have had eggs, the first batch failed due to 2 broken eggs, this is their second egg and they started off with 12, and somehow they now have 6 and they all are gone (I tested them this afternoon and none were viable - they were also likely a week overdue). All eggs are now gone, they both are back in the coop after I fully cleaned it out and are fighting over the spot they've sat for the past 2 months.

I'm fine with them tryna be mommas, but one of them or both of them *since they keep wrestling eggs back and forth* keep ruining the hatch. What would you suggest I do ?

I'd break their broodiness and allow them to regain condition. Next time they go broody keep them separate. Sometimes hens sharing a nest works - many times it results in low percentage hatches or brooding failure. You might also buy some day old chicks and foster them to the hens.

I'd break their broodiness and allow them to regain condition. Next time they go broody keep them separate. Sometimes hens sharing a nest works - many times it results in low percentage hatches or brooding failure. You might also buy some day old chicks and foster them to the hens.
How would you suggest keeping them seperate through this ? And for trying the fostering, normally you'd try to sneak them under in the middle of the night right ?

Back
Top Bottom