HELP: 2 broodies 1 clutch

ChickyWhicky

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 19, 2022
Iowa, USA
I have a broody hen on about 15-20 eggs due to hatch around 5/30. Candled hastily yesterday and all look viable ( 🤷‍♀️ ). Here's the issue.... A second hen has gone broody in the same nest box. They are both literally sitting on the clutch of eggs, squished up next to each other. There is room for both of them to sit in the nest box so they arent too crammed. My questions:
1.) Can and/or will they co-parent? Has anybody seen or done this before?
2.) Are the chicks in danger of being killed by one of the hens?
3.) Should I allow this to play out or is it too risky?
20230523_194824.jpg

Hey!

Since they are all due to hatch at about the same time (I assume?) I think it may be okay. Be sure to watch them closely when they do hatch, to make sure that the chicks don’t get hurt or killed and the hens don’t fight. I’ve never hatched eggs from two broodies sitting on the same nest, though two of my OEG bantams have tried before.

My two silkies each had a nest in the same coop, one had three eggs (two hatched) and the other had four (all hatched). Both are now the moms of all the chicks, taking care of them and leading them around to food and water, as well as sitting on them to keep them warm at night. They do just fine.

It really depends on the hen, but I think you can definitely try. Just be ready to care for them yourself or break one of the hens if it doesn’t work out. Hope this helps! :)

I THINK they should (or most of them) hatch at same time. Although the candling would suggest a few were not quite as far along so could be some staggered hatching.
I am mostly concerned about the chicks being hurt or the hens fighting. Will def keep an eye on everything if I allow them to stay together!

Well we let them do their thing and.... We now have 12 chicks hatched and both mamas are taking care of babies. All seems well. Still have 5 eggs unhatched and red mama keeps going back and forth from chicks to eggs, maybe some late hatchers. 🤷‍♀️
20230531_155150.jpg
20230531_155403.jpg
20230531_155201.jpg
20230531_155408.jpg

Congratulations! That’s so exciting! I’m glad they’re all doing well.

Yep, that’s exactly what my two silkies did. They both sat on the eggs and hatched the chicks, and they both take care of them. My buff silkie, Tiny, is like your red hen, and she kept going back and continued sitting on the remaining eggs. None hatched, but she kept trying until I finally took them away!

Back
Top Bottom