JessieKell

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
Three of my hens went broody at once. Two have decided to share a nesting box. (Nesting boxes are raised so not on the ground.) The chicks should be hatching any day. My concern is whether or not they are all going to be overcrowded (potentially suffocating and trampling on chicks) as that will be a lot in one nesting box. Also, with the nesting box off the ground, how will the chicks get water and food. From what I’ve been reading, it can be really detrimental to mess with brand new chicks/hatching chicks and the broody hen. I really don’t know what to do after they hatch. Help would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Hello! My neighbor's two broody bantam crosses just hatched out the two eggs they were sitting on. I helped build the little coop/pen for them and had made a ramp (old fence board with 1/2" x 1/2" wood sections nailed on for gripping steps). We thought the eggs weren't going to hatch, but then heard they had hatched so I went over. One made it successfully to the ground and the other was at the top of the ladder (but she probably could have made it down if I didn't help her). Both mamas are caring for the chicks peacefully and the father is also in there with them. They have also opted to sleep on the ground with their littles.

Of course, I was dealing with two, you may end up with many more. If you can, maybe put up some sort of wide ramp-like ladder to help them get down more easily (even better if you have some old carpet or fabric you can attach to it to help the babies grip better). If you can be home when the mamas start leading them off the nest, I would help out if need be. Having an angry mama because you picked up her babies to put them on the ground is better than having the babies fall and become injured or worse, die. Hopefully all goes well! Good luck!

Hello! My neighbor's two broody bantam crosses just hatched out the two eggs they were sitting on. I helped build the little coop/pen for them and had made a ramp (old fence board with 1/2" x 1/2" wood sections nailed on for gripping steps). We thought the eggs weren't going to hatch, but then heard they had hatched so I went over. One made it successfully to the ground and the other was at the top of the ladder (but she probably could have made it down if I didn't help her). Both mamas are caring for the chicks peacefully and the father is also in there with them. They have also opted to sleep on the ground with their littles.

Of course, I was dealing with two, you may end up with many more. If you can, maybe put up some sort of wide ramp-like ladder to help them get down more easily (even better if you have some old carpet or fabric you can attach to it to help the babies grip better). If you can be home when the mamas start leading them off the nest, I would help out if need be. Having an angry mama because you picked up her babies to put them on the ground is better than having the babies fall and become injured or worse, die. Hopefully all goes well! Good luck!
Thank you so much!! That’s a really good idea. I need to rig together some sort of mechanism. I really appreciate your help! :)

Back
Top Bottom