Two broody silkies

Clrflowers

Chirping
Feb 23, 2020
I tried to find an answer for this and even though I think I should let nature take its course I'm going to ask. I ended up having two broody hens on eggs in the same coop one in a seperate nesting box (the kind with a little ledge on the front) and the other in the middle of the upper part of the coop nearby (leaving 3 empty built in nesting areas) Anyway we are at about day 11-13 and today I noticed that all the eggs are now under the hen in the middle area and the other hen is sitting on nothing in the nesting box, I don't even know how the hen that I assume "stole" the eggs from the other got them over the edge of the box or out the back without hurting them, but they look fine. Question is, do I go against my let nature take its course idea and move the eggs back. I feel bad for one sitting on nothing, she was laying next to the other hen a couple times today but at bedtime she was back to sitting on nothing. Sorry this is so long but also they are both young and first time broody.

My only concern is,,,,,,, when the chicks hatch, being like where you describe, they will Kamikaze to the area below. Soon after they hatch they will start to venture out from under hen, looking for food and water.
I suggest you have a plan for the nest with broody, and chicks to be at floor level.
I would not have any concerns about the hen with no eggs. You can give her some plastic eggs to keep her happy.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

My only concern is,,,,,,, when the chicks hatch, being like where you describe, they will Kamikaze to the area below. Soon after they hatch they will start to venture out from under hen, looking for food and water.
I suggest you have a plan for the nest with broody, and chicks to be at floor level.
I would not have any concerns about the hen with no eggs. You can give her some plastic eggs to keep her happy.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thanks. I will be sure they are safe. Crossing my fingers for new chicks in 10 days or so.

If the hen on the empty nest is still broody, I would split up the viable eggs and let them both have chicks. I did that this summer so my 3 broody hens had 2 chicks each. After they bonded with their babies (separate the families for this part to avoid fighting) all the mamas kept track of their chicks and kept them safe. Your empty nester has been sitting for a while and she may continue to be broody for a loooong time if she doesn’t hatch any chicks.

Back
Top Bottom