two chickens in question! HELP!!!

solarquail

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
first off sorry for the quaility of the pics but you should be able to tell.

whats wrong with them there eyes are kinda bubbly theyre eating and drinking fine

1) What type of bird , age and weight. say above picture
2) What is the behavior, exactly. eyes are kinda bubbly no gurgling or sneezing or anything like that
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? just noticed it today
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation?nothing that i can think of i just think they have a little respitory problem but im not sure which one...
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. eating whole corn and free range (confined right now)
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal but i kinda noticed the EE hens poop had a little red section in it but it wasnt blood i dont think i didnt look like it.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? i gave them two drops of vet rx
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? just need to know should i cull i cant spend much money on meds right now
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. i did
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use they free range during the winter and sleep in a shed with straw on the floor

EE hen alittle less then a year old her eye looks a little puffy
23iz242.jpg

2dlp6km.jpg

1oneps.jpg

white chicken...roo possibly... about 4 months old
n3oson.jpg
( his eye is not stuck like that he just had it closed.
258z9kg.jpg

I'm sorry, but I have no idea. I would copy and repost w/a specific heading, such as "Please help, bubbles in eyes" or something about eye infections... I wish you (and your poor chickens) well...

one of my hens had a runny nose and i was told that i needed to give her antibiotics or else it would bubble in her eyes. i got the stuff that you put in the water but i mixed a little in water and gave it as an injection. it cleared right up. i did treat them all. everyone seems to be a little peppier.

I am also interested in finding out as I have a hen that has an eye closed like that. She seems to be ok other than that. I have been putting neosporin on it so it doesnt dry shut.
Hopefully someone will come along and help us out.
caf.gif

It is either a bacteria or a virus. You can try Gallimycin, auromycin, Tylan water soluble or the better route of using Tylan 50 injectable.

Without a culture you can't know for certain what disease it truly is but I would think that it is probably Coryza.

Usually it is a respiratory illness that causes bubbles in the eyes. It will take antibiotics to clear it up and you should treat all your birds. Also do a search for different types of respiratory illnesses in poultry and meds to give them.

Quote:
Be very careful doing that. Meds that are formulated to mix with water really shouldn't be given as an injection - they aren't sterile and are of a different strength. I'm not going to say you did the wrong thing, and I'm glad that your hens got better, but next time you might not be so lucky - they could develop an additional infection from using the wrong formulation. I'm not not in a position to criticize, just caution.

Oh gosh, I can totally relate to being a little bit broke and not having the extra money to buy medicine. Do you have any meds at all on hand? Any antibiotics? Any Sulmet?

Things like Gallimycin, Auromycin, Sulmet are relatively inexpensive. A little surprising considering what we have to pay for the drugs for ourselves. But if you want PM me, we can talk about getting you enough Gallimycin to do a full treatment for the price of postage. Which could end up being as expensive as buying it locally.

I would get to a health store and buy a bottle of Colloidal Silver. Put a half a dropper full into the chicken's mouth. Then squirt some on her eye. If she seems like she's improving a bit by tomorrow, then wait until the next day and repeat the procedure. I've found this product to be miraculous. It saved two of my chickens from the ravages of marek's disease (they are now 100% cured) and I used it on a stray cat with an infection that caused runny eyes and sores on her anus. That kitty is now healthy after only two doses. My experience has been that Colloidal Silver eliminates viruses. Silver was used for years as people used to drink from silver cups and eat with real silverware because silver kills germs, viruses, etc.

Back
Top Bottom