Two chicks are lathargic. One died HELP urgently

They both died.
The kind of sick chick looks fine, I think it was just surprised to be up at ten pm.
I will give all the chicks the emoxicyline for the next two weeks.
I will also send the deads to the county vetrerinary department, to rule out dangerous disease.
I guess I should have listened to the person who told me to keep them inside. ):
Thank you very much.

Oh, my. I bet the chicks were pecking at something. Did you find the source?
Yes. The asbestos roof from the fifties, it broke a bit, there was a piece of it inside the coop. I know I should probably change this roof, but it’s kind of costly and I’m not sure wether I have the money, an expert should do that, and they take a large sum for a small 16sqm roof.

image.jpg

This is the roof.
image.jpg

This is a huge asbestos piece that was inside the adults coop, it was used to cover a hole.

You're going to need some family help. Can you organize this?
Sure thing. Moving them into a new location will be possible. I don’t know what would happen with removing and changing the roof over his car (which I’m pretty sure he hasn’t used in over a decade), but it has to be changed sooner or later…

Ha! I once had a grandfather like that. He bought a Packard new in the early 1900s and only drove it once a week to church. It was still like new when he died and willed it to my uncle who lived in the desert. He took the vintage Packard, probably worth lots of money, and parked it out back of his chicken farm where it rotted down to its hubs and became a worthless piece of junk. My uncle had Alzheimer's, too.

Good luck with the move and I hope no more chickens get sick.

How old are these chicks? How many are there? Are they on natural soil so they can pick up grit?
About three weeks, there are eight, although I’m pretty sure, when I come back there will only be seven. They are on natural soil, and they have a grit plate.

The small chick may be a failur-to-thrive, meaning it has underdeveloped organs and cannot process nutrients. The other chick may be borderline. Continue the hand feeding of sugar water and protein and vitamins. Finely minced cooked egg is a good food for such chicks.

I doubt it's Marek's. It's too early for symptoms.
How about gambouro? Is it possible or maybe that because it has a wound next to its butt?
Do you think it will be ok? The bigger chick now drinks on its own.

It's not possible to say if this is gumboro. But you are already doing what you would be required to do if it is. Keep up the sugar water and vitamins. Keep up the animal protein. Feed frequently for today and tomorrow.

Watch carefully that they don't peck the wound on the vent of the one chick. If you can obtain gentian violet, you can dab some on the wound and it will make it less obvious to the chicks that wish to pect it.
Ok dokie!

It's not possible to say if this is gumboro. But you are already doing what you would be required to do if it is. Keep up the sugar water and vitamins. Keep up the animal protein. Feed frequently for today and tomorrow.

Watch carefully that they don't peck the wound on the vent of the one chick. If you can obtain gentian violet, you can dab some on the wound and it will make it less obvious to the chicks that wish to pect it.
Can I use oxygen peroxide?

Back
Top Bottom