Two chicks are lathargic. One died HELP urgently

Paz

Crowing
Jul 15, 2022
The Middle East
I suspect my chicks have cought the "mareks" or the “Gambuoro”.
They seemed ok yesterday, but this morning, there's two who act really lathargic, and their wings are not in place.
They were pretty cold, so I put them in the brooder. One of them is significantly smaller than the rest. They have whitish pasty poop. No insects were detected so far.
I made them drink water with sugar, and fish with crushed vitamin pill.
The chicks are only vaccinated against the "new castle."
One of the sick chicks has a wound next to its butt, which I suspect the cock caused, when I let the chicks out with the chickens yesterday (my hen acted strange so I gave her the chicks, I have a thread about that).
Am I doing ok?
Should I apply some honey on the injured chicks butt?
What should I do with the other chicks?
Do both chicks suffer from the same condition?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions this past month.

Last edited:
How old are these chicks? How many are there? Are they on natural soil so they can pick up grit?
About three weeks, there are eight, although I’m pretty sure, when I come back there will only be seven. They are on natural soil, and they have a grit plate.

The small chick may be a failur-to-thrive, meaning it has underdeveloped organs and cannot process nutrients. The other chick may be borderline. Continue the hand feeding of sugar water and protein and vitamins. Finely minced cooked egg is a good food for such chicks.

I doubt it's Marek's. It's too early for symptoms.

The small chick may be a failur-to-thrive, meaning it has underdeveloped organs and cannot process nutrients. The other chick may be borderline. Continue the hand feeding of sugar water and protein and vitamins. Finely minced cooked egg is a good food for such chicks.

I doubt it's Marek's. It's too early for symptoms.
How about gambouro? Is it possible or maybe that because it has a wound next to its butt?
Do you think it will be ok? The bigger chick now drinks on its own.

It's not possible to say if this is gumboro. But you are already doing what you would be required to do if it is. Keep up the sugar water and vitamins. Keep up the animal protein. Feed frequently for today and tomorrow.

Watch carefully that they don't peck the wound on the vent of the one chick. If you can obtain gentian violet, you can dab some on the wound and it will make it less obvious to the chicks that wish to pect it.

It's not possible to say if this is gumboro. But you are already doing what you would be required to do if it is. Keep up the sugar water and vitamins. Keep up the animal protein. Feed frequently for today and tomorrow.

Watch carefully that they don't peck the wound on the vent of the one chick. If you can obtain gentian violet, you can dab some on the wound and it will make it less obvious to the chicks that wish to pect it.
Ok dokie!

Can I use oxygen peroxide?

It’s crop feels like a balloon.
Here is a picture of the wound.
D6223521-1D16-4423-9BD5-473C2D6957C5.jpeg

The smaller chick is dead.

I came back and it got a whole lot worse!!! It barley holds its head.
I don’t know what my father did but when I left the house, the chick was much better.

Back
Top Bottom