Two chicks hatched with no neck feathers?

Quote:
barnie.gif
Don't say that! That's it, I'm done hatching.

gig.gif

yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
barnie.gif

gig.gif

Hey, you may notice that the pea comb has a side effect of reducing feathers on a bird.. And having an extra layer/fold of skin along the breast bone(partially the reason some Orientals have exposed skin on their breasts) that means YOUR brahmas are secret nudists... LOL

Besides.. what's up with fuzzy legs, feet and TOES? That's just plain gross.. lol

Kev - can I post photos here? If so, I'd be happy to snap some pictures. If I remember correctly, you could see part of the chest on one of the chicks. I asked the Teacher over the phone and she mentioned the bow-tie which I read about in NN chicks. I will try to go over tomorrow to get some pics. If I can't post them here, I'd be happy to email them to you.

That was my first thought .... if it's a random mutation, you wouldn't expect TWO chicks. Their farm is actually in a residential area so no other chicks around ... it's majorly developed in that area now.

I read that NN is autosomal dominant which means the rooster or hen, the parents, had to show the trait to pass it on. SHe has no roosters or hens w/ naked necks. If a NN hen mated w/ normal rooster, statistically, half of the chicks would be NN.

I'll see if I can go over tomorrow and get a good look at all the chickens as well as how many nests the eggs came from and how many chicks were hatched.

Even more Curious

Quote:
barnie.gif

gig.gif

Hey, you may notice that the pea comb has a side effect of reducing feathers on a bird.. And having an extra layer/fold of skin along the breast bone(partially the reason some Orientals have exposed skin on their breasts) that means YOUR brahmas are secret nudists... LOL

Besides.. what's up with fuzzy legs, feet and TOES? That's just plain gross.. lol

I've always wondered about them....hmmm
lau.gif

Yep, I loves me some fuzzy legs, feet, toes Everything! On birds!
love.gif
Now on people.....that would be a different story....
duc.gif

Haha.. naked neck love is creeeeeping up on ya Brahmama...
wink.png

Curious, yes you can post pictures on here. If it's too hard, I would love to get them by email.

It seems to me you have a good understanding of the genetics(yes the usual naked neck is an autosomal dominant.. but it is also a semi-dominant, there is a visible difference between birds heterozygous and homozygous for this trait), you can see why I am really suspecting there is at least one naked neck in the teacher's flock, even though the teacher is claiming there are none. Can you visit the flock and basically verify her observation? How many birds?

It is true that stastically half would be naked necked BUT this will be skewed if the situation is a multiple bird flock such as single naked necked hen amongst several non-naked hens and non-naked rooster for example.. this can "produce" far less naked neck chicks if all of the hens are laying and the eggs randomly collected.

Got to go, but am real interested in this thread even though I am strongly suspecting there is a naked-somebody in the flock..

Kev- Ok, tomorrow I will count birds, gender, etc and get some pics and get back to you!

Curious

Quote:
Aaaak No no no NN pictures you'll make me
sickbyc.gif

You can post pics but they have to be uploaded to a web site. Then copy the URL address and push the Img button at the top. Paste the web address

But please, MERCY!!! NO PICTURES!!!! PLEEEEEEEEASE!

Back
Top Bottom