Two coops?

kirinafa

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2015
I will be getting an assortment of 9 bantams including silkies and a rooster.

I was looking into building my own coop but I think I would go alittle overboard. Would it be possible to buy two coops, 4x4 each for them to use? Three nests in each. I'm afraid they would all try to use only one and it would be too cramped. I was thinking put a coop on each side, make a chicken run and maybe in the middle build another larger kind of walk-in coop with heating for in the winter and storage for everything.

Sorry if this sounds silly, I'm a beginner. I think that would be alittle easier then trying to build a big large coop, at least this way they are movable. Everything would all be fenced in, top to bottom.

I was looking into building my own coop but I think I would go alittle overboard. Would it be possible to buy two coops, 4x4 each for them to use? Three nests in each. I'm afraid they would all try to use only one and it would be too cramped. I was thinking put a coop on each side, make a chicken run and maybe in the middle build another larger kind of walk-in coop with heating for in the winter and storage for everything.

Sorry if this sounds silly, I'm a beginner. I think that would be alittle easier then trying to build a big large coop, at least this way they are movable. Everything would all be fenced in, top to bottom.
I have 9 full-size pullets and two (soon to be one) full-size roosters in a 4' by 8' coop with three nest boxes, and there are no crowding problems. As is usually the case, there is one nest box that the hens don't care for, but the two they do use are sufficient. I really don't think you need six nest boxes; it won't hurt, but it isn't necessary.

IMHO, I would build one coop for all. They will want to roost together, there is safety in numbers. They would also prefer to be one flock, once the pecking order is established things go along pretty smoothly. They will try using the same nest box, that is completely normal, though it is best to offer a few extra in case more than one hen needs to lay at the same time or someone is broody and won't get out of a nest. A well ventilated, possibly insulated coop is usually all they need. Chickens do very well in winter, they wear feather parkas! It's important that they have enough roosting space and enough floor space to be inside in inclement weather. I believe the minimum required floor space per bantam indoors is 2.5 square foot per bird. Go all out on the one coop, spoil 'em rotten!
welcome-byc.gif

Actually I wonder if I could slightly modify the coops to combine them. Remove some of the nests also to make more room.

Back
Top Bottom