Two dead chicks with no injuries

Pics
Update:
Went outside to to check in on them. Everyone was alive. Many of the chicks are acting lethargic now. I do believe that they have been drinking the water, but not as much as they should.
You may have waited too long to start the treatment. :(

Do you still have the heat lamp on?

The heat lamp is off now. I saw two chicks drink the water today. The Egyptian fayomi looks worse. I haven’t checked on them in a few hours. I did see less bloody poops when I was cleaning today. That could be a good sign.

Most of the poop I have seen are normal. Maybe one out of thirty are bloody. The Egyptian fayomi hasn’t changed much.
Can you give this one another drop of Corid and try to encourage her to drink water?

The Egypt fayomi died yesterday afternoon. Everyone else is beginning to perk up. There are a few who are not as perky but they have to have drank some of the water by now or they would be dead from dehydration. I haven’t really seen any more blood in any poop. There is the occasional red spot but nothing too concerning. Fingers crossed everything turns out alright!

I'm so you lost another one.
Sometimes if the coccidiosis goes untreated too long, which can be as little as a few days, it does irreversible damage to the intestines.

I hope the rest continue to thrive for you.

Checked on them this morning. Everyone is doing much better. They were jumping around and flapping their wings like happy chicks! Some of them are still a little lethargic but are doing much better. I haven’t seen any bloody poops in a while so that’s good. I think I caught it early enough to save most of them. My adults and 7-week-olds are not showing any symptoms. I will continue the treatment until Friday and then I’ll take a two or three day break and start it up again for another week. I read that you should do this if you live in a humid environment, which I do.

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread till today and I'm sorry you lost your fayoumi. They are a great breed. I would have suggested insuring it and any lethargic chicks get a full oral dose with a syringe or dropper.
Your enemy was the wet bedding. Coccidia can't complete their life cycle without moisture. So if one is able to keep bedding bone dry and feeders at least half full, medication and vaccination shouldn't be necessary.
If your other birds have been outside on your property for any length of time, they likely have already developed resistance to the coccidia species on your property and won't need dosing. Coccidiosis is a heavy infestation of the protozoa and not a viral or bacterial disease and shouldn't be considered in the same light as a disease that could continue to infect new birds as say pullorum or virulent avian influenza.
Coccidia are everywhere worldwide and any animals with soil contact can be infected with one species or another. Even humans can get coccidiosis but it is especially a problem in dogs, cats, goats, cattle, swine and poultry. The trick is to allow slow exposure building resistance. The problem comes when chicks haven't been exposed and wet bedding in a warm environment is the perfect place for population explosions and the defenseless chicks get too much exposure at once.
In the future, guard against rain infiltration and if any water is spilled get that bedding up and put down fresh dry pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom