Two different 'come' commands? (esp. for those who show obed. dogs)

Quote:
About that age pups are teenagers. This is when they end up in shelters mostly after 6 months and before a year. I know many parents of teens who would happily drop them at a pound if they could..
So, yeah, at that age, assume that given the choice, the pup will make the wrong one and limit his opportunities to do so.

And LOL, dogs are MUCH easier to train then husbands! Why does it seem when a dog trainer gets married their beloved sets about trying to ruin the dog? I love my husband, I love my husband, I love my husband ... (deep breaths, keep repeating)

I don't feel ignoring jumping up will make it go away. I don't feel ignoring most undesirable behavior will make it go away. Most undesirable behavior has its own rewards, other than human 'attention'. For example, jumping up makes the dog feel dominant, chewing up books or shoes with the owner's scent is soothing to the animal.

I think 'ignore it and it will go away' assumes dogs think like human beings - anthropomorphosizing. Dogs don't generally start behaviors because of human attention, either. THey start the behavior - because they are dogs.

Last edited:
My parents and I used to teach obedience. We used the word "front" for competition when you want the dog to come and sit in front of you and then "pass" for him to turn and sit in the heel position. We used "come" for just come here.

Quote:
And they don't tend to like it when you try, either
tongue.png

Pat

The trainer told my son that 'Come" was come and sit down in front of me. 'Com'ere' or "come here' or any dilution of the two was the alternative, and not to use one for the other. She seems to know that cum'ere can be ignored, and 'Come" requires attention. That annoys me because now we have to use 'Come" when we should be using "cum'ere"
It's difficult when our dog is obviously smarter than us.
roll.png

Brody's Broodello :

I always use the word Front for the recall. That way my dog always knows that I expect him to come & sit in front of me. For the heel, and the finish after the "front" I always use the command "with me". That way the dog knows that I expect them to be on my left side,shoulder at my leg.

GMTA
wink.png

The dog in my avatar does a lovely, accurate front. There has been much proofing of this exercise with me positioning myself in many different positions before giving the "front" command to break her out of the wait I use to keep her from moving. I use stay when I leave for the group exercises where I return to her.

Hope this helps, and here's wishing high scores and a lifelong love of dog training for you,

Mary and "Ella"​

Back
Top Bottom