Two Eggs in One Day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stella1964, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Is it possible for a hen to lay two eggs in one day?

I noticed last night when I closed up the chickens that there were no eggs in the coop. I checked again this morning when I let them out and there were no eggs. Tonight however when I got home from work, there were 2 eggs, side by side, in perfect shape, from one chicken.

I know that they belong to one chicken because my other hens lays eggs of different colour.

Now I'm thinking, did I possibly just miss seeing the first egg (unlikely as I checked several times), or has she laid two eggs on the same day.

Ideas?

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Wow........that's a strange coincidence. Today I had an extra white egg. I couldn't have missed one yesterday as I check the coup all day long and all eggs are in nesting boxes.........I was wondering the same thing!

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Yeah, that happens every now and then. I only have 4 bantam hens and every few weeks I get 5 eggs!

4. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Once I got 2 eggs in one day from a RIR. I could hardly believe it!

5. Stella1964

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    [​IMG]
    Wow, so it IS possible for them to lay more than one egg a day. How exhausting that must be! I suppose it's probably not much different than laying a double-yolker...except two shells are produced instead of one. Very interesting!!!!

6. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Quote:the same thing is happening with our leghorn/Jersey Giant she is the only one to lay tinted eggs (plus they are the same size) we have been getting two tinted eggs a day for a week now and her eggs just started to get bigger too

7. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

My little blue Cochin gave me 2 eggs a day for 2 days, last week...

8. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    My little game hen just started laying again after raising her guinea keet she hatched out for me. She has now started laying HUGE eggs, they are even bigger than my Buff Orps eggs and has even layed two a day. I actually had a duck lay 6 eggs in one day a while back. Don't ya know that hurt!!!

9. Stella1964

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Do ducks normally lay every day, like chickens?

10. We had two yesterday...I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by