TWO 'FIRST EGGS' ON THE SAME DAY AT THE SAME TIME!

countryladyNH

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 22, 2016
New Hampshire USA
My Coop
My Coop
OUR FIRST EGG(S)!!! TWO TODAY, AT THE SAME TIME!!!
wee.gif

Well, almost right after I wrote this post this AM, hubby called me outside to see one of our hens in the nest box!!

www.backyardchickens.com/t/1128653/still-no-first-egg#post_17425774

There was a lot of squawking going on by all 4 hens, but it was Maisie, as expected, in the nest box. He left for work just after noon, and I went back out. This time PRISSY was in the nest box all comfy sitting there. A bit later, and despite the fact that we have 2 boxes, MAISIE was now cramming herself into the same box with Prissy. It was about 1:30.
Maisie got out, but just stayed in the coop. I had to go in the house, but came out at 2.
THERE IN THE NEST BOX WAS PRISSY ONLY, AND ONE PERFECT, SMALL BROWN EGG, STILL WARM!
love.gif

I thought it was her egg. Maisie was not in the coop at this point. I stroked Prissy, and she stood up and dropped an egg RIGHT INTO MY HAND!
I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! TO SAY I WAS IN SHOCK WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

Maisie had laid her egg in the box with Prissy, and then gone into the run. I just managed to go out to the coop just after she laid her egg and went out, and so I thought it was Prissy's and went to pick her up and pet her. I am still just gob-smacked that my beautiful Prissy laid her egg right in my hand at that moment!

SO, THIS IS OUR 'BIG DAY'!!
THURS., AUGUST 18, 2016, A BEAUTIFUL DAY ON 'OUR OLD HOMESTEAD' IN NEW HAMPSHIRE---TWO 'FIRST EGGS' AT THE SAME TIME!!!
clap.gif

Maisie

Maisie

Our other girls coming to investigate...

Prissy got in a nest box...

Maisie came back in....

...No, this is not one chicken. Maisie squeezed herself into the same nesting box with Prissy! That is Prissy's face and Maisie's fluffy butt.

WHEN I CAME OUT AT 2:00, AFTER HEARING A LOT OF CARRYING ON, I FOUND MAISIE WAS NOT IN THE COOP, THERE WAS ONE WARM, PERFECT EGG IN THE NEST BOX WITH PRISSY, AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP, AND SHE DROPPED HER EGG---THE SECOND EGG IN MY HAND!

WE ARE JUMPING FOR JOY HERE AT THE OLD HOMESTEAD!!!
highfive.gif

I SURE WILL REMEMBER THIS ALL MY LIFE!

Last edited:
Congrats on your first eggs! How exciting! No, it isn't possible for a hen to lay more than one egg at a time. Maisie and Prissy are both laying. Don't be surprised if you don't get eggs the next few days, or you get some odd eggs, such as an egg without a shell, or no yolk, or two yolks, etc. It usually takes a little bit for pullets to get everything sorted out.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom