Two issues with my girls

rrbriss

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 10, 2011
Guildhall, VT
first, one of my girls crown and waddle is pink vs red like all the others, she seems to have lost some weight and is smaller then the others, not as active and tends to stay off by herself. poop is good, eating and drinking. But does not seem right, any ideas?

Second issue, Our girls had poulty lice last January which we promptly treated. Unfortunately they all lost feathers on their bums. We figured once they molted the feathers would come back but the do not seem to be coming back in.
Could there be something else going on, I have checked them thoroughly yet do not see anything. Thoughts?

see photos

The pale comb can be an indicator of poor health. Internal parasites, liver/kidney damage, internal laying, heavy metal poisoning are a few things I'm thinking of. While molting can cause a pale comb, when I see one as pale as your hens the first thing I do is a microscopic examination of the feces. If that is clear, I do a radiograph and bloodwork. You might want to retreat Miss Red Bottom for lice, change your nesting material, and be sure to treat the area your girls are staying.

Back
Top Bottom