Two Jersey Giants & 2 Light Brahma Roosters ... Too much testosterone

SheilaV

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
I have somehow ended up with 4 rooster and need to place at least 3 of them. They are from July 2013, part of the only 6 survivors out of about 27 chicks. I only had 4 roos and, wouldn't you know it, ALL of them survived. They are harassing my girls, ambushing and trying to get their licks in anytime any one of them grabs a hen. They have to go. I hate to post them on Craig's list or at the feed store; I am hoping that someone WANTS a Jersey Giant or Light Brahma for their own flock.

I live in North Texas, just south of Ft Worth. Speak up for one or all if you can give them a good home.
Honestly, I cannot tell them apart, so these pictures may be of the same JJ rooster. They look alike, even to me.

I love your roosters! i could give them a home on a five acre farm and they would be great for breeding this spring! would you pay to ship to alabama im in notasulga where r u?

My twins have two light Brahmas that they would love to breed to one of these beautiful Roosters. Is it possible to ship to N Carolina? I'd be happy to pay shipping if it's not too much for the calmest light Brahma you have. Susie Q

I love your roosters. They are very pretty. I just don't do roosters. I have had bad experience with them. I now only have one bantam rooster and he is very sweet. I think I will just stick with him for now!

I didn't know you could ship them at this age. I understood that the USPS is the only shipper that will handle live animals, and they don't like it. I do not know what it would cost. I'd have to do some research on this. I'll check it out and see if it is feasible.
thanks for the offer.

I'm sorry to say that none of these are particularly socialized. This bunch arrived at a bad time for me, and I could not spend as much time with them as I would normally do. I lost most of the lot to snakes soon after I got them, and these are the few that survived. They are beautiful, but they are brutal en masse on my poor hens. One jumps a hen, and they all follow up. I am going to have to separate them from the hens at this rate. Poor girls are being brutalized. It is so cold right now that I am reluctant to move them to the old chicken house because it is not as tight as the one they are now in. What was I thinking? I think I could place all 4 of them happily, and I know the girls would appreciate the break.

as I said in another post, I did not know they could be shipped, so I'd have no idea of the cost or risk, especially this winter... it's been SO cold, and I'd hate to think of them sitting in a truck or warehouse any length of time. Not quite the same as shipping chicks. I will need to do some research on this idea. I'd welcome anyone else's input on this.

I'm sorry to say that none of these are particularly socialized. This bunch arrived at a bad time for me, and I could not spend as much time with them as I would normally do. I lost most of the lot to snakes soon after I got them, and these are the few that survived. They are beautiful, but they are brutal en masse on my poor hens. One jumps a hen, and they all follow up. I am going to have to separate them from the hens at this rate. Poor girls are being brutalized. It is so cold right now that I am reluctant to move them to the old chicken house because it is not as tight as the one they are now in. What was I thinking? I think I could place all 4 of them happily, and I know the girls would appreciate the break.

as I said in another post, I did not know they could be shipped, so I'd have no idea of the cost or risk, especially this winter... it's been SO cold, and I'd hate to think of them sitting in a truck or warehouse any length of time. Not quite the same as shipping chicks. I will need to do some research on this idea. I'd welcome anyone else's input on this.
Separate them immediately. It doesn't matter how cold it has been. They should NOT be allowed to abuse the hens. It has been cold here forever too and I wouldn't hesitate to throw any and all hormonal cockerels into solitary confinement.

Yes, you can ship them. It is usually rather costly. First you need approved shipping boxes (Horizon) that run $20-30 each, then the $40-$100 in shipping costs. That cost is paid by the buyer, not you BTW.

I planned to do that tomorrow, when I have the weekend to get things in order. I will do so for sure now. I ordered some aprons for them, but in looking at one of them today, I had pretty much decided I was going to have to do something. You are so right. I shall do it and they'll be sleeping in a bachelor pad tomorrow night.
thanks,

The boys are in their frat house, and none to happy. But, too bad. I am going to give the girls a rest, and if I choose to keep one of them, or not ... that's tomorrow's problem. I still need to place at least 3 of them. I may have a place; decisions to be made. I've got a little more time now, until they begin fighting amongst themselves. So far, the only confrontations were over a hen. I can isolate them if I have to, but that just makes it harder on all of us, especially in this cold weather.

but for now, there is peace in the hen house, and a lot of frustration in the frat house.

thanks, all

Back
Top Bottom