Two-legged predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by coopncottage, Nov 7, 2011.

1. coopncottage

coopncottage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Front Range
    On Thursday night, just before dark, we closed up the coop and run, and secured the latches (my daughter herded our 7 hens in, and closed doors, then I went out and double-checked). The coop is toward the back of our yard, near a gate for back alley access. We left for dinner. Came back two hours later to find our back gate, run door, and coop door all standing wide open. One little Cochin Bantam was in the coop, one Bantam was in the run trying to hide under the step, and we found our barred rock hiding under a bush in the yard. Missing were our four biggest hens -- two BOs, a RIR, and a gold laced wyandotte. There were no feathers, no blood, no sign of any struggle.

It took our minds a while to grasp that our four big hens had been stolen (I think they tried to take the barred rock too, but she got away, which explains why she was in the yard). We walked the area for over an hour with flashlights, then as soon as the sun was up began searching again. The police officer we talked to felt it was likely someone had taken them to eat. Or maybe to sell (they were young hens, just started laying a month ago). I thought it could be a prank, and we've posted fliers, walked door-to-door, and called the humane society.

They were dear pets, and we are sad to lose them.

We have added padlocks to the coop door and the run door, as well as to the back gate. Three motion sensor lights are mounted around the coop.

We were so careful to build our coop to be fox/raccoon/coyote/skunk proof. We never anticipated predators of the two-legged variety.

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    what awful people! Since it is close to the alley gate, I would assume it is someone on the street behind you that could SEE your birds...I am so sorry. If I were you, I would also add cameras to the coop...just incase they try to come back for the barred [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm so very sorry. [​IMG]. What disgusting person/people to do such a horrid thing!!!

We built our coop inside our garage mainly for predator safety. This includes 2 legged predators. They are locked behind a steel door every night.

I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

5. blkpoodles

blkpoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    im so sorry to hear, we keep a close eye on ours since someone showed alittle too much interest in ours, we plan on getting locks for our coops. sad people would do something like that

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. coopncottage

coopncottage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Front Range
    Quote:Thank you -- I will look into cameras. I wish I had them set up before this happened!

7. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]
    I don't understand the mentality of some people.

8. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I can't stand people who steal!

9. sunnione

sunnione Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2011
    In the sticks
    I am sorry to hear you have had to deal with the bad element we have in this world!

I can't add much to what others have said to help in protecting the rest of the flock and any future ones you may get.

10. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    What terrible people. I am so sorry this happened to you. [​IMG] [​IMG] from Ga. I am so sorry it is under these circumstances. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by