two month old chick is off balance, looks like it's dizzy

FarmerWife

Songster
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
Hello,
I have a chick that I found this morning in the chick pen, it's about two months old. It looks off balance and dizzy. it's falling over when it tries to run with the other chicks. Can anyone tell me what this is?? And how can I treat it. I'm removing her from the rest and putting her in the quarantine pen. This is the third chick we've had with this, my husband put down the other two because he thought it might be Marek's, but I don't want to do this unless I know for sure. I have no vet here who see's chickens, so that's not an option. Please help.

Dianna

Last edited:
Could be a thiamine deficiency. If so, to quote @chickee who just posted about this on the NorCal Thread, egg yoke, yeast (vitamin B) polyvisol, alfalfa powder (health food store) and finely ground 7 grain cereal (health food store) can help.

hi the same thing happened to one of my hens
it kept falling over we tried everything but there was nothing we could do in the end we left it and it carried on just falling over and looking dizzy
hope its ok as mine was older than two months

I will try it, thank you so much. I called and spoke to the man at First State Vet Supply, I am going to order Mareks vaccine for all of the chickens, and I told him what the symptoms were. He said that being that it's not the first chick that has the symptoms, it's likely Mareks. OMG. This is my fault. I bought chicks from a lady in the next town, the first chicks that came down with the symptoms were her chicks. Hubby put down two chicks the other day because of the possibility that it might be Mareks. I am in the mean time keeping the one I mentioned away from the other chickens, and will do what you said, and pray that it works. The vaccine should be here by Thursday, I hope no more chicks become sick in the mean time. We are going to vaccinate every one of the chickens, chicks and adults. And all chicks that hatch here from now on. I never thought this would come to our flock, I never should have made the mistake of buying chicks from that lady. I'm totally devastated and saddened that it was me who brought this home. NEVER again. With all the chicks and adults we have about 100 chickens, we have an egg selling business. All I can say is that I hope everyone out there is reading my post. NEVER EVER buy chicks from someone unless you know their chickens are vaccinated. Thank you for your response, I'll get right on it. Poor little chick, I feel so bad.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom