Two nest bowls per nest box?

LamarshFish

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 26, 2015
I visited a loft this past weekend and noticed several of the nest boxes had not one, but two nest bowls in each box. Does anybody know why this was done?

I would have asked the owner when I was there but didn't think about this question until I looked at a video I took of the loft and began wondering.

I visited a loft this past weekend and noticed several of the nest boxes had not one, but two nest bowls in each box. Does anybody know why this was done?

I would have asked the owner when I was there but didn't think about this question until I looked at a video I took of the loft and began wondering.
can you share the video?

Yes, I know about this. The second nest bowl is for the hen to lay 2 more eggs when the first 2 squabs are a bit over 2 weeks old. Then she will start incubating the new eggs while the cockbird does most of the feeding of the older squabs.
Edit - The nest boxes I saw like this were about 18 " tall with a shelf about 10 "up where the second next bowl is out of the way of the older babies. If the older babies can disturb the new nest they may be pushed away too soon.

Last edited:
Yes, each hen needs two nest bowls, as this with feeding chicken (or for pigeons marketed specifically, either way about same except shape and price) Layer pellets, and forty inch squared cage for exercise of parents and two rounds of you together at same time. This stops almost to all problems most breeders have, as mine will produce continuesly unless sexes broken up, without health problems to parents or young. I've used these steps with show winning, performance winning: tumblers, rollers short to competition to deep (10-30-50-100ft), homers (never raced them). I haven't had any good utility pigeons to try out on though..

Yes, each hen needs two nest bowls, as this with feeding chicken (or for pigeons marketed specifically, either way about same except shape and price) Layer pellets, and forty inch squared cage for exercise of parents and two rounds of you together at same time. This stops almost to all problems most breeders have, as mine will produce continuesly unless sexes broken up, without health problems to parents or young. I've used these steps with show winning, performance winning: tumblers, rollers short to competition to deep (10-30-50-100ft), homers (never raced them). I haven't had any good utility pigeons to try out on though..

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying the second bowl is there so the hen can lay another clutch of two eggs while her and the cock are still raising young squabs that hatched only a week or two before?

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying the second bowl is there so the hen can lay another clutch of two eggs while her and the cock are still raising young squabs that hatched only a week or two before?
Yes, I know about this. The second nest bowl is for the hen to lay 2 more eggs when the first 2 squabs are a bit over 2 weeks old. Then she will start incubating the new eggs while the cockbird does most of the feeding of the older squabs.
Edit - The nest boxes I saw like this were about 18 " tall with a shelf about 10 "up where the second next bowl is out of the way of the older babies. If the older babies can disturb the new nest they may be pushed away too soon.

Yes, the couple needs 2 nests for that purpose. Something about their biological need, makes them want to do 2 nests in a close time frame like that.

Back
Top Bottom