Two new chicks....Ameracauna or Easter Eggers?

chickielips

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Hi everyone! New, but been a member for about 8 months. Just reading til my eyes hurt!
So, my question is.. Ameracaunas or Easters Eggers?
I bought a coop and three hens last summer from a gal that was moving, and got another hen that was suppose to be laying.. Only got about 6 eggs from her... the other two lay rubber eggs. Only the Easter Egger lays beautiful light blue eggs.
Just picked up two chicks this Saturday at Wilco here in WA state. Adorable girls (I hope... not straight run). when I talked to the gal at Wilco, I asked and was told these were NOT Easter Eggers, but Ameracaunas. They came from a new mexico hatchery. So... anyone care to comment on which I have? They are only about a week old, so not sure how to tell. Either way, I will be happy because I love both breeds! thanks!

I've ordered from Privett (which is in New Mexico) and they list them under Ameracauna which might be why she said they are not Easter Eggers...that being said, I call mine an Easter Egger because one of the few things that everyone on these forums seem to agree on is that hatcheries only sell Easter Eggers...
lau.gif

They are definitely Easter Eggers. The leg color already gives it away. The majority of hatcheries and sellers either through ignorance or intentionally mislabel Ameraucanas. Here is an easy and simple explanation of the differences:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

Also Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas are NOT the only blue egg layers. Crested Cream Legbars are a purebred auto-sexing (can tell gender at hatch by color) blue egg layer.

Last edited:
They are definitely Easter Eggers. The leg color already gives it away. The majority of hatcheries and sellers either through ignorance or intentionally mislabel Ameraucanas. Here is an easy and simple explanation of the differences:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

Also Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas are NOT the only blue egg layers. Crested Cream Legbars are a purebred auto-sexing (can tell gender at hatch by color) blue egg layer.
Do you know of any hatcheries that sell Cream Legbars? I researched it a little last week and didn't find any. I found one individual that sells trio's but I didn't find a lot of availability for the breed.

Dang girl! You are fast!! Yes, it was Privett,and I kind of figured they were Easters after reading so much here...a big thank you to everyone! they are doing very well... only one small bout of pasty butt that I caught early. I have to admit... I did pound the chick starter crumbles with a mallot because they were having a hard time eating the bigger chunks
tongue.png
. Ok... one more question... I know I have the Easter and a Barred Rock... any guesses on the other two?

Dang girl! You are fast!! Yes, it was Privett,and I kind of figured they were Easters after reading so much here...a big thank you to everyone! they are doing very well... only one small bout of pasty butt that I caught early. I have to admit... I did pound the chick starter crumbles with a mallot because they were having a hard time eating the bigger chunks
tongue.png
. Ok... one more question... I know I have the Easter and a Barred Rock... any guesses on the other two?

The red is probably a production red. Does the darker one have feathered legs or clean legs?
Holy cow! Those are spendy!

That was an outstanding price deal. lol. My new trio is not even POL yet and I already have a waiting list for chicks.

Greenfire farms has crested cream legbars, but they're not cheap.

There are a few active threads on CCLs in the Breeds/Genetics/Showing section. You might check there if anyone around you has some for sale.

I think the red bird is a hatchery New Hampshire, or maybe a mixed breed bird as the leg color is off. The black hen looks like she could be a cochin--does she have feathered legs?

Back
Top Bottom