Two new Easter Eggers, what cross breeds?

Do these two have pea or small single combs?
I’m not sure tbh. I look a really close look and it appears to be three parts to the comb. One in the middle and two sets of bumps on either side with a slight overhang of the middle part to the back. Sort of like the start of a rose comb similar to the dominques we have.

If they have rows of bumps they are pea combs. I don't have personal experience but I have read that three rows of peas means rooster and two rows means hen. Looking at the picture of them side by side, correct me if I'm counting wrong, that would appear to make the white one a rooster and the brown one a hen I think.

This is the first time I see the kind of plumage your chickens have. The black and white ones especially, those ones are really crossed. I had a cockerel and a hen once with similar plumages, and they were all F2-F3 crosses. As for the wheaten(?) chick in your pictures, I think it's a pullet. Wheaten males are colorful compared to the hens.

three rows of peas means rooster and two rows means hen

This is the first time I hear of two rows of peas for hens and three rows for roosters. Is it some kind of chick-sexing trait being developed for pea-combed races?

Like I said, I don't have personal experience, I have just seen others say that it worked for them. I very well could be wrong on that front.
I don't have personal experience either, so that makes two of us xD
But if it IS a chick-sexing trait being developped for pea combed breeds, it's possible not all chicken races have it yet, only some specific strains and lineages. The public at large might not see this trait in their backyards until several years have passed, too.

If they have rows of bumps they are pea combs. I don't have personal experience but I have read that three rows of peas means rooster and two rows means hen. Looking at the picture of them side by side, correct me if I'm counting wrong, that would appear to make the white one a rooster and the brown one a hen I think.
That’s not entirely true. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, so it’s not an accurate sexing method.

I think we all agree these two are not first generation Easter eggers. For what it’s worth these two are sticking side by side when I’ve been taking them to visit the hens. Like two peas in a pod.

I know people use the feathers to sex too. Here’s an action shot.

Attachments

• 0F658812-5E9B-4B40-96E9-C260DCC2049B.jpeg
    0F658812-5E9B-4B40-96E9-C260DCC2049B.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom