Two of my 3 week olds have runny poo

Chickmom96

Chirping
Mar 9, 2021
Hi, I'm new at raising chicks and have noticed that 2 of my 6 three week olds have runny brown/white poo. We have had them 2 weeks as of tomorrow and we started using alfalfa hay on day 2. We are feeding them flock party rising chick. My silver laced Wyandotte and one of my buff Orpington has had it for about a week now. On Monday I started putting Dumor Chick grit in hoping that the grit would help. They still have the runny poo. They are active, eating good and drinking good, their feathers are coming in nicely and normal sleeping patterns. Just the runny poo. Could it be too much alfalfa? They really love scratching and pecking the fire out of it 😅 thanks for any tips!

What does your brooder set up look like?
How are you managing their heat?
Anything but plain water being given?

What does your brooder set up look like?
How are you managing their heat?
Anything but plain water being given?
This is the set up, it's a 64 gallon tote with chicken wire attached to the lid. I move the heat lamp up and down as needed, but they don't huddle under it and its been in the same spot a few days now. I'm just giving them just plain water. The Orpington actually had a bit more solid poo today thankfully!

Attachments

• 20210311_181907.jpg
    20210311_181907.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210311_181934.jpg
    20210311_181934.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 2
This is the set up, it's a 64 gallon tote with chicken wire attached to the lid. I move the heat lamp up and down as needed, but they don't huddle under it and its been in the same spot a few days now. I'm just giving them just plain water. The Orpington actually had a bit more solid poo today thankfully!
Is that a 250W lamp?
Wondering if there's a cool spot in the brooder?
Overheating can cause issues.

Here's some tips about chick heat:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

We had these packets of Save-a-chick probiotic they were quite affordable. We dealt with some runny poo and pasty butt with our first chicks last spring. But that probiotic in their water seemed to help. All of our 6 from last spring are healthy and strong hens now.

More because the tote is so small.

Did you read the link I posted?
Have you actually measured the temps on the brooder floor?
Yes I read it thank you and they are not acting too hot or too cold. The floor opposite of the food and water is 86° and by the the food and water is 74°. I picked up a pro biotic pack and put it in their water this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom